Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,<br>
I'm just wondering how many of you give your toddlers vitamins? Our Dr. has never mentioned it, but I know some of my friends do give them to their children.<br><br>
I know that my daughters diet (like mine) needs some work - so would vitamins be a good idea?<br><br>
If so, does anyone have any recommendations for a good, natural brand without artifical dyes or flavouring?<br><br>
Thanks in advance,<br>
Jeanette

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I personally wouldn't completely RELY on the vitamins but they could be a good suppplement until your diet is better. There are some nutrients that your bodies need that aren't supplied in vitamins so you obviously need a balanced diet also. Madyson gets vitamins a few times a week when I KNOW she's not eating well and I'm concerned. She the gummy kind from the health food store. I want to say the brand is "Rhino Vite" or something like that. She has the kind specifically made for vegetarian kids. She liked them right away because it's like getting candy to her. She knows that the vitamin is her "medicine" though.<br>
Meg

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
We use Juice Plus veggie and fruit gummies, as recommended by our ped. We avoided vitamins for a long time, basically until Meg quit eating vegetables for a while. She loves the gummies as well.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Goo and I are both anemic, so we have her on poly-vi-sol drops. I can't wait to finish the bottle and look for another vitamin form because she hates the vitamins, so I only give them to her every other day. She has a good diet and it is only because of the iron issue that we give them to her.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions!<br><br>
I am slowly working on our diet. I know it needs a great deal of work and I feel very commited to doing the best I can for Bella - but sometimes it feels a bit overwhelming. For now, I've started picking up a few different organic products to try each time I am at the grocery store, and I am reading labels more often to see how much sugar and artifical stuff is on the list. I have to admit, I feel totally undereducated on this - if only toddler nutrition was covered in prenatal classes! :)<br><br>
I was not too worried even a few months ago, becaues although I knew she was getting too much processed crap, she also had a good, core diet of real foods. Since then, she has pulled the toddler trick of refusing almost any and all vegetables - which worries me. If anyone has tips on encouraging veggie consumption I'd love to hear those as well! :)<br><br>
Thanks again,<br>
Jeanette

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
Well, I here are a couple veggie tricks we do around here:<br><br>
Shredded zucchini in pancakes, muffins, or even tomato sauce<br><br>
Finely shredded kale in a smoothie (I got this idea from Cathe here, and sure enough, you can't even taste it)<br><br>
Chicken soup with veggies - my ds will eat any veggie if it's in a soup broth<br><br>
Steamed veggies with some butter and tons of parmesan cheese (although my son has been known to pick off and eat only the parmesan cheese)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi, I know this is kind of old but I didn't have a chance to answer before. We use Schiff vitamins from our natural foods co-op. They are all-natural, and they have tons of vitamins, including 100% of iron and zinc. This is important to us, since we're vegetarians. (A lot of vegetarians overlook zinc.) I checked out Rhino Vites and they don't have as much, I think.<br><br>
We use the liquid, and ds usually takes it okay. Some days he doesn't finish it all, that's okay, it's better to have them take some every day than make a big struggle and then they never want to take it at all.<br><br>
"Super Baby Food" is a great reference for toddler nutrition too, albeit a bit overwhelming.<br><br>
Ds likes to dip broccoli in tomato sauce, soup, olive oil, whatever. He also like stir-fries. People comment on how happily he eats vegetables and my only two comments are:<br><br>
1) WE like to eat vegetables<br>
2) We never make any effort to get him to eat his own vegetables.<br><br>
As soon as kids know you want something from them, it's fun to withhold it, kwim?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts