Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I was all set to buy the omega masticating juicer when my friend posed the question, why the juicer over the vitamix...I hadn't really thought about it and wondered--which do you prefer? Do any of you have both? As I see it, the only thing the omega does that the vita mix can't is make pasta--and I'me not interested in that feature...what are the pros and cons of whole juice vs juicing without pulp? I'm pretty sure the omega doesn't heat the juice as much as the VM, right? VM is 2HP, omega 80 rpms.

Now I'm just not sure which to get!
I'm looking for juicing capabilities, frozen fruit "sherbet" and nut butters--they can both do those, right? So then I'm wanting ease of use and the most nutrients maintained in the juicing process. Any ideas, thoughts? Thanks!!!
:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have both a Vitamix and a juicer.

I use my juicer when I have an extra 20 minutes in the morning (Juice and clean, etc). I like the taste of juice coming from my juicer.

I use my Vitamix when I have 5 minutes to juice. I throw in the fruits and veggies and then use a nut milk bag to strain the juice from the pulp. Cleaning the vitamix is a breeze.

I have made nut butters and soups in my vitamix. I use my vitamix a lot more than my juicer, but like I said, I do like the taste of my juice from the juicer......

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Nutritionally I think the Vitamix is superior because it retains the fiber of the fruit/vegetable.

I make smoothies in my Vitamix. The only thing I use my juicer for is to juice spinach alone to use when making pasta. If I put the spinach in the Vitamix I'd have to add water (or something) and that would dilute it. Oh, also for the rare occasion when I need a bit of apple juice for a recipe; Vitamix can make apple SAUCE but not apple JUICE per se.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm looking to get a juicer and I was wondering if any folks had any suggestions. I know there's quite a bit of difference when it comes to juicers, and there are different ones depending on what you're planning to juice. I know that we will juice wheatgrass occasionally image and make baby food, and other than that, just your typical veggies and leafy greens for green juices and such. I've heard that high-speed juicers destroy enzymes and increase oxidation due to the heat that's generated (not sure if that's true), so if that's the case, then a slow-speed juicer might be a better fit for us. I know that the Vitamix blender (which we own-it's great) advertises itself as a juicer, but it's definitely not. We are looking to end up with a high-quality and nutritious juice and price is not an issue. Well, I take that back... I know there is the Norwalk Juicer that sells for $2,000; that's a bit out of our price range, though I'd love to hear from someone if they own one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.