Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 month is BF and receives 4oz of formula once a day sometimes not at all. Today at her 4 month checkup Dr. was very pleased with weight/height etc. In one of the handouts the nurse gave me it mentioned vitamin supplements for BF babies. I asked Dr. about it and he said no he didn't think she needed. However, we are on WIC and the nurse there is really pushing for it and hinted that if she weren't on a supplement I might not receive WIC any longer. It irritates me because WIC has been really supportive of BF and even giving me a Medela pump and calls monthly to see how BF is going. So why the push for the vitamins especially if she is growing (17lbs and 271/2 inches!!) and meeting every milestone.

· Registered
4,257 Posts
I have read about VitD supplaments now being recommended but Im on #4 and none have ever taken regular vitamins. We do vit C for the big boys if we are getting a cold but all are healthy ( we eat very healthy too)

· Registered
997 Posts
No need for vitamins for bf baby and formula has added vitamins too. In fact, too much of a vitamin is not a good thing oftentimes.

They can't deny WIC benefits if your lo is not taking vitamins, just like they can't deny it based on vaccination status.

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, they could check with Dr. I don't use a lot of what they give me on my WIC checks so might just tell them I don't need the services. I do like the breastfeeding counsolor and the support that she offers but could get that from LLL.

· Registered
2,627 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jt'smum View Post
Yes, they could check with Dr. I don't use a lot of what they give me on my WIC checks so might just tell them I don't need the services. I do like the breastfeeding counsolor and the support that she offers but could get that from LLL.
Well, you could always just tell the doc that you're giving the vitamins...it's not like they're going to do a blood test to check. OR (just read your OP), if he doesn't think it's necessary, then that should be good enough for the WIC nurse.

· Registered
286 Posts
From what I understand, they(peds) want the BF babes to take a supplement b/c of a lack of Vit D absorption. My ped told me to give Dd trivosol drops and I did for a while until I realized that there was a bunch of other crap in them. I was ignorant for trusting the doc that the drops were just Vits. nevertheless, we moved on and started giving Carlson's Vit D infant drops. the only other ingredient is coconut oil. Now that we have been getting more sun exposure, I have stopped giving them but plan on resuming in the fall/winter. I too take a Vit D supplement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.