Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have permission to post this here:

I am writing because you had previously expressed interest in participating in a study on flame retardants in human breast milk conducted by the Environmental Working Group. We have now completed that study and are about to release it (look for it in the news on Tuesday and Wednesday).

In the meantime, however, we have been talking with a wonderful graduate student in Texas who has been doing important work on the presence of a chemical called perchlorate in cows milk. Perchlorate is a component of rocket fuel that has been found to be contaminating drinking water in
several areas across the country. For her dissertation she would like to do a survey of human breast milk and see if it may also be turning up there.

This is a very important and timely issue as both the federal government and several states are working on drinking regulations for perchlorate but the process has been stalled by politics. If you are interested in helping Andrea out with her study and helping protect the nation's drinking water from contaminants, please contact her at [email protected]hh.ttu.edu.

I hope this message finds each of you (and your babies) healthy and happy.

In peace,

Renee
--
Renée Sharp
Senior Analyst
Environmental Working Group
1904 Franklin St, Suite 703
Oakland CA 94612
ph: 510-444-0974
FAX: 510-444-0982
www.ewg.org

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From Andrea, the researcher:

Perchlorate is a chemical used in production of jet fuel, fireworks, airbags and matches. It is probably more likely to be around military bases, or former bases, but it is extremely water soluble, and once it gets into the ground it moves quickly. We have been surprised to find perchlorate in milk produced in areas with no known sources of perchlorate. Its possible that aniamls (or people) eat feed (food) grown in an area with perchlorate and shipped elsewhere. There is also a theory that perchlorate is formed naturally by lightning hitting chloride and water droplets over the ocean. There is a lot that is not known about how perchlorate is distributed or how it affects human health.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
i'm in canada. would i still be able to participate?
how would we get the milk to her to survey?

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Andrea told me she would send a collection kit in the mail & I just need to return it. She also said that I'd only need to send a few ounces.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
pretty scarey for me. I work at a major airport and did for the 5 years I nursed my dd

I no longer nurse but I would have been very interested to do this study if I were.

·
Registered
52 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.