Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first time dd has ever vomited, so I don't know what to do. It started last night, after she'd been asleep a couple hours - she half woke up and while she was lying down she threw up everything she'd eaten yesterday, and it looked pretty much undigested. We cleaned up and comforted her and eventually we all laid back down. A little later she wanted to nurse, so I let her, but she couldn't keep it down. This morning I tried letting her nurse again, hoping her stomach had settled, but she just chucked it all back up immediately. As far as her behavior, she's not acting like she feels bad (although she's unhappy that I'm sitting here typing). She did have a touch of a virus over the past two days - low grade fever for one night and diarrhea, but yesterday she seemed much better - anyway we're assuming this is part of that virus or whatever it was. Daddy just gave her some plain old water (distilled) and she's taking tiny sips.<br><br>
So, at what point do we start worrying about dehydration, and if she is dehydrated, what the heck do we do about it? It's Sunday and her ped is closed although we could take her to a walk-in clinic up the road if we had to. Her diaper this morning was wet, but definitely nowhere near as heavy as it usually is. Her mouth isn't dry right now, and like I said her behavior at this point is relatively normal.<br><br>
Sorry for the length of this post - thanks for reading. Any advice is appreciated - thanks!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Last night was a mess!<br><br>
Anyway, as far as dehydration goes - as long as she's nursing (even if she throws it up) and taking little sips of water - and her diapers are still getting wet, she's fine.<br><br>
When DS had rotavirus he got to the ER but just narrowly avoided an IV for dehydration. His diapers were dry, he slept all day and when awake looked totally out of it, wouldn't touch anything but breastmilk and only about once per day.<br><br>
Even still - he was not dehydrated enough to need an IV. But at home, I had to give him a syringe full of water every 5 minutes for a few days!<br><br>
So...if she's acting fine and taking sips...I'd say you're good.<br><br>
But keep on it. It's easy to think everything's all better when they start acting like themselves again - but they're tricky little things. They have a compulsion to laugh and play even they're sick!<br><br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Mine did this too a couple of weeks ago. I kinda freaked 'cause she was throwing up in flourescent marker yellow! Apparently as long as it isn't green all is well (if it's green (and it's NOT the peas you fed her for lunch) that means it could be bile, which means a blocked IT, and requires attention ASAP). Basically as long as she is getting something in her don't worry too much. According to our ped, she would worry if the babe was vomiting for 24+ hrs and won't take fluids.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts