Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to verify that I am doing the right thing. My dd (3yo) is vomiting and complaining of a bad headache. She cannot keep anything down -including water- and is complaining of thirst. I gave her homeopathics - Nux Vomica & ipecacuancha - says 6c on the package. Gave her the 5 pellets of each as per the package. The thing that worried me was when I read a non-Bioron Homeopathics site, it said that poisoning & death can occur from nux vomica?!?!
This is my first homeopathic experience - and I am uneasy!
I would rather land in the hospital with dehydration than have poisoned my sweet girl....

Is there anything else I can do to help her??

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
If she's deyhdrated and you can't hydrate her bring her in of course. Deyhdration--watch her pee, look for tears/wet mouth, see if her tummy skin bounces back when you pinch it, etc. Severely deyhdrated kids are going to be lethargic. http://pediatrics.about.com/od/sympt...mp_dehydtn.htm
Try little ice chips or just 1 cc of water to see if she can hold down little bitty amounts. You can use pedialyte or similar in place of the water in making the ice.

Is she running a high fever?
It would be not likely but a severe headache and vomitting are two of the signs of meningitis. http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/commo...meningitis.htm Stiff neck and high fever are the other common signs. I mentioned only because of the bad headache. Hopefully that is just related to the dehydration or something. But you'll want to read the signs to make sure she's not showing them.

I can't help on the homeopathy but I hope someone comes along who can.
You can try poison control but I don't think they'll know (worth a try perhaps). Isn't homeopathy diluted to the point that it contains none of the harmful substance?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She still has a "wet mouth" but hasn't peed in several hours. She is improving I think? though? She is holding down about 1/4cup water - drank it about 10 minutes ago and its still down which is a far improvement... However, about 10 min after she took the homeopathic tablets, she threw up...

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to say, no fever or stiffness.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kellykins View Post
Wanted to verify that I am doing the right thing. My dd (3yo) is vomiting and complaining of a bad headache. She cannot keep anything down -including water- and is complaining of thirst. I gave her homeopathics - Nux Vomica & ipecacuancha - says 6c on the package. Gave her the 5 pellets of each as per the package. The thing that worried me was when I read a non-Bioron Homeopathics site, it said that poisoning & death can occur from nux vomica?!?!
This is my first homeopathic experience - and I am uneasy!
I would rather land in the hospital with dehydration than have poisoned my sweet girl....

Is there anything else I can do to help her??
I give Nux Vomica 30C to my two children [4 and 2] whenever they're sick with a tummy upset. Two small pills to the 4 yr old who sucks them, two crushed pills to the 2 yr old. It works almost instantaneously.

Nux Vomica can cause poisoning and death if taken HERBALLY, but homeopathics are nothing like herbal medicines. Go to www.elixirs.com or www.1-800homeopathy.com/ for good resources on homeopathic remedies and their safety.

I remember a time when my ds was about a year old, he got into my purse where I had a bottle of homeopathic Sulphur 6C pills and ate almost the whole bottle, I called my brother first, he told me to get my ds to the emergency pronto. Then I called my mom to come watch my dd and she asked why was I so upset...I told her and she told me to calm down that Trenton would be ok, if I still wasn't sure to call the Poison Control Center - to which I did and their response was my mom's - Calm down.

They said my ds would not be harmed by the homeopathic sulphur pills. And he wasn't. Homeopathic remedies have the minutest amount/if any of the herb or whatever is in them.

So, calm down. The practitioner says to wait 24 hours after giving a remedy, if you see no response give another remedy. But you have NOT poisoned your child!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Homeopathics are *extreme* dilutions of what is listed on the bottle. You cannot overdose on them. Upon lab analysis your remedies will be considered to have only sucrose and/or lactose in them. Be aware that poison control and/or any emergency room doc may not be aware of this fact.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
jsut wanted to add reassurance about hydration as well....the rule of thumb our ped goes by is that LOs over 18m only NEED to have one wet diaper in a 24 hour period, espeically with a tummy bug, and they aren't worried before you reach that point. Personally, I would be nervous way before that, but that's their comfort zone. The fact that she kept down a few ounces of water is great. It is SO scary when they are getting sick so frequently. Hang in there, hopefully she'll be on the mend soon (and take care of yourself!!!!)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, she threw up several times even after the nux vomica and ipecacuancha - once only like 10 min after I gave them to her. She wants to drink water- she keeps trying- but everytime she throws it back up.
I made egg drop soup for dinner, as after dealing with all the puke all day DH and I werent up for anything heavy either... She drank a few mouthfuls, kept it down a little while and up it came.
She is now up in her bed, sleeping. Hopefully she will have a long, peaceful sleep and be better in the a.m.!

Thanks for the reassurance on the homeopathics. I really dont know anything about them-obviously- I just knew a friend in FL (my old home) swore by nux vomica for vomiting... and also had read in the book @ whole foods that ipecacuancha was good for vomiting. DH is now totally not sold on them since she has thrown up several times since taking them

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts

I hope she's better tomorrow. Keep trying with just a CC of water at time (use a syringe-it's very little), or 1/2 a teaspoon, or a few chips of ice.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:
Still a very sick little girl. Been giving her maybe an ounce of water at a time, basically a mouthful. She had a good long pee a little while ago, and it was only faintly yellow, so I know at least some of this water is staying in. She was all excited to get off the couch and pee, like she knew it was a good thing to have to pee when she's been so sick.

I most recently gave her one of her acidophilus chewables, hoping the good guys will help kick out the nasties....

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
everything kept coming up. Everything. So, I went out on recommendation of another mdc mama and got "phosphorus" - 30c - and gave it to her about a half hour ago. nothing has come up since- but she has only had about a Tablespoon of chamomile tea since then, as well. We'll see. SIGH.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Don't be surprised if she switches to diarrhea soon. Those things usually switch over. You still have to watch hydration of course. That she isn't running a fever helps some in terms of deyhdration as fevers make that worse. Probiotics are good if you can get any to stay down.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Here are some links about homeopathics. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...g#post13934681

Have you tried ginger, flat ginger ale, ginger tea, Gripe Water, coconut water, chicken broth, popsicles, jello, white grape juice?

Epsom salt baths.

Water kefir orally.

ACV or sauerkraut juice can actually help to kill off the pathogenic bacteria in the stomach. But, unlikely she'll try it. Just a tablespoon or less would help.

I'd avoid plain water and continue the herbal tea.

Also about any probiotic with lactobacillus. A tablespoon of yogurt with active live cultures will help.

Hope she feels better quickly.

Pat

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
When I had meningitis, a severe headache & vomiting were my main symptoms - and eyeball pain. For a few days before, I had a severely sore throat that didn't show up as strep & my doctor couldn't believe it wasn't strep.

Mama, I'd be REALLY concerned about meningitis. Spinal taps aren't really uncomfortable, at least mine weren't. If it were my child, I'd get it checked out at the ER. You don't want to mess with meningitis.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, she is coming around. We went to the doc this a.m. just because nothing was working, nothing was staying down, and she was looking more and more pitiful (like those kids on those "Save The Children" - for pennies a day you can sponsor a child like this one... commercials)

The doc did a strep screen - negative. Dr figured a tummy bug that would probably pass by the end of today or tomorrow at latest.

Sure enough, she is eating applesauce and drinking watered down juice and keeping it down.
Thanks so much for all the support!

Now, moving on to the healing her poor body phase!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts