Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>DD has basically been vomiting often since last night around 8pm (it's 6:30pm now so almost 24 hours).  It kind of comes in spurts (for instance she took a 4 hour nap this afternoon and didn't throw up during it but did a few times since she woke up already).  She's asking to nurse regularly, asking for water, and even asked for an apple (but just played with it instead of eating it).  She also asked for chocolate milk but we didn't give it to her for obvious reasons...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>She's been sleeping a lot today (this is a kid who doesn't take naps half of the days) but otherwise seems happy except for when she's vomiting (she's definitely not going full speed but is talking, asking questions, and watching TV).  DH is ready to take her to the ER since the vomiting isn't slowing down at all but I'd much, much rather wait since I'm afraid taking to the doctor would make it worse and she doesn't seem dehydrated (we did that pinching the skin test and she's peed within 8 hours, although it was a few hours ago).  We're also abroad so our insurance only pays for emergency medical care so I don't want to take her unless it's absolutely necessary.  I have to admit, this couldn't have come at a worse time since I have my thesis defense next week and I'm preparing for my talk right now! I hate seeing her sick and this is just killing us because she's normally never sick. :(</p>
<br><p> </p>

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
<p><a href="http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t083300.asp" target="_blank">http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t083300.asp</a></p>

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
<p>If there's less than an hour between times she vomits, I'd take her to the hospital at this point. But if it's spread out, it looks like you can just wait things out while keeping an eye on hydration.</p>

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<p>Hmm... I looked at that list and I really suspect food poisoning (except that it's lasted more than 12 hours...).  She has no fever and it started friday night (and she was in daycare that day).  We had actually tried to call the daycare earlier today because they are open on Saturdays but they were already closed by the time we called.  <br><br>
She does sometimes vomit close together but it's normally minutes after each other and then will stop for over an hour or sometimes more so maybe it's just that she doesn't get it out all at once?  Right now she's drank some water and has held it down for maybe 20 minutes and counting.  She looks pretty tired like she might sleep again...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It seems like she's mostly in stage 2 and sometimes she'll even go 4-5 hours without vomiting but then after that vomits a lot in a row.  Strange.</p>

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
<p>Norovirus is going around pretty strong this fall. <a href="http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus.htm" target="_blank">http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus.htm</a> I always ask myself, what would I expect the Dr to do? If she is not dehydrated, there is not much they can do for you. </p>

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
<p>Ive never taken my kids in for vomiting. Both of my boys are severe vomiters. Like they will vomit about 30 times in a 12 hour period with viruses. As long as she is drinking, she is holding some down. The best thing is to give one teaspoon of fluid every 10 mins between vomits. Even if she vomits that up, some is going to stay down. My kids like to suck ice when they are sick. When they were small, I would hold the ice in my hand in a rag and let them lick the ice. They are still getting fluid. Popsickles are good for that too. IF she is hungry I would let her only eat like bread or crackers, nothing else until the vomiting slows down.If she is talking/moving around some and peeing occasionally, espeically if there is no fever, she should be fine. The fever dehydrates quickly with vomiting, my boys never run fevers with vomiting bugs so I just let them ride it out.</p>

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<p>Go figure... after writing this DD all of a sudden improved a lot! I think I should write posts everytime she gets sick from now on. ;) She went 1.5 hours keeping down water, breastmilk, and even asked for a bite of an apple that I was eating.  Then she passed out in bed and has been sleeping for over an hour now so I'm really hoping the worst is over! </p>
<br>

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
<p>Our ped's guidelines include peeing every six hours.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The one time LO was really sick he couldn't keep down bm which really freaked me out. But apparently that is normal too. I spoke to the on call ped at our practice (not mine) who first spent a long time marveling and congratulation me that LO was still nursing... ha.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Does your ped have a doctor on call? (ER visits for vomiting are routinely denied full coverage from insurance as being "unreasonable" so you'll want a clear indication from your ped to go if you want it covered.)</p>

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
<p>glad it's better.</p>
<p>i took dd in for vomiting for over a week because it one point i thought she might be dehydrated due to lethargy. but dehydrated to me and dehydrated to the ER are very different things. basically they are looking for no tears, no saliva, etc.... because the only thing they will do is hook up to IV fluids and they only do that in severe cases. </p>
<p>so they just sent us home with instructions for pedialyte. now i hadn't gone out and gotten any only because she was drinking water and nursing (and there's nothing better than BM, right?). well, i was wrong on that count. one cup of pedialyte and she completely perked up. i felt so bad for not having gotten it sooner.</p>

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<p>That's good to know about the insurance!  Well, we've moved out of the vomiting phase and now she's into the cold+fever stage.  She's been running a temperature for awhile now (currently it's 101 under her arm) and has been in bed all day sleeping. :( I'm really, really, hoping she feels better soon!!!</p>
<br>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts