Mothering Forum banner

vomitting because of congestion

490 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  rareimer
my kids are both sick with a cold/flu like illness. dd has eaten about 2 bites in 2 days, and i'm having a heck of a time getting her to drink anything either. and she keeps gagging on the phlegm/mucous in her throat and throwing up from coughing. i don't think her tummy is bothering her, i think it's just from all the congestion.

what can i give her?! dimetapp is evil. what kind of teas, homeopathic remedies, or anything might help? we're using the humidifier, but other than that i don't know what to do for her. plus, how long before i should get worried that she's not eating? and how can i encourage her to drink more?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
this is what my naturopath recommends for congestion:
Hot Socks
Do this before bed.
Soak feet in hot water for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, soak a pair of cotton socks in cold water, and ring out until almost dry, but still cold. Dry feet, put on cold cotton socks, then put on wool socks over cotton socks. Go to bed.
By morning, the cotton socks will be dry and congestion should be helped.
I don't know how this works, but it has something to do with circulation.

I've also found that keeping my head and neck bundled up helps, even if it doesn't feel that cold. This includes wearing a scarf during the day, and sleeping in a hat with a very warm blanket up around my neck and head.

Cough medicine never worked for me. I remember not being thirsty when I was sick, or not wanting to drink even if I was thirsty because I kept thinking if there was less fluid in my body I would be less congested (not true, I know.) Maybe offer her fizzy water, that sometimes feels better in the stomach than flat.

Also encourage her to spit out as much of the phlegm as possible, since that seems to be bothering her stomach. I hope they feel better soon.
See less See more
Geez... after four years of dealing with this with my son and a gazillion medicines (he DOES have allergies, but the cough/vomit happens any time he is congested for any reason. DD did this recently too... I wanted to take a poll to see how common it is!

I took DS to a Cranial Sacral Therapist today and I have very high hopes that this will help the drainage issue. She was wonderful with him and i have hopes that once he is more "aligned" his sinuses will work better. He hates blowing his nose, so I've taught him how to sniff and hack up the gunk (gross, I know, but better than vomiting!).

But those are long term issues. In the short term for congestion, keeping them hydrated any way possible is best (sometimes even with ice pops - I buy the juice ones but you could make your own). A vaporizier to keep the mucus loose helps a bit too. They both LOVE to eat small bowls of ice chips, healthy or sick.

There have been two times that DS has had such a serious cough/vomit session that he just sat in a steamy shower (draining the water away the whole time) and coughed and vomited over a dozen times. I actually had him to the ER one morning, and they nebulized him. I hate albuterol, but there have been a half dozen times in the last four years that I've used it on him for severe episodes. I bought a home neubulizer (it was $90 and worth every penny for the few times we've used it).

I'm going to try the sock thing though!
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by rareimer
my kids are both sick with a cold/flu like illness. dd has eaten about 2 bites in 2 days, and i'm having a heck of a time getting her to drink anything either. and she keeps gagging on the phlegm/mucous in her throat and throwing up from coughing. i don't think her tummy is bothering her, i think it's just from all the congestion.

what can i give her?! dimetapp is evil. what kind of teas, homeopathic remedies, or anything might help? we're using the humidifier, but other than that i don't know what to do for her. plus, how long before i should get worried that she's not eating? and how can i encourage her to drink more?
I would not use any allopathic medicine. The CDC came out and said no cough meds work. Anyway.... I would do what we do for every cold/flu -

Give Sodium Ascorbate Powder in water or diluted juice. (Get the kind that doesn't taste salty.) 375 mg/per kg body weight or to loose stool stage.
Give Echinacea liquid or tea
Sambucol syrup
Zinc lozenges

For coughing we use Anemone Pulsatilla - herb caps.

Don't bother to give food at all. When the body is sick the last think the person needs is to digest food.

When the child gets thirsty s/he'll drink.
Don't give any milk, sugar, white flour stuff...

Chamomile tea or echinacea tea is good but without sugar.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gitti

Chamomile tea or echinacea tea is good but without sugar.
is honey okay? i can get her to drink chamomile, but only if i put honey in it.

also, i can't find sodium ascorbate here (we only have one health food store in town, and it's not all that great.) i thought i read (in one of your posts, actually!) that you could mix ascorbic acid powder with baking soda. is that correct and what were the ratios again?

still having such a hard time getting her to drink anything. normally she adores cranberry juice and she won't drink that either. a bit of water, but not nearly as much as she needs. i might try the popsicle thing, if she'll accept that.

she's always been very gaggy--she had reflux as a baby and oral aversion from that. so whenever she gets sick, she gets gaggy and pukey again. it sucks!
See less See more
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.