Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Today I got about 4 emails from different friends all linking me to a treehugger story about how vegan might now be for everyone. the story is based around this girls blog post. To sum it up she says she was unhealthy being vegan and now has found her health since eating omi. She goes on to claim that a well know cook book author and other bloggers (that she doesnt actually name) are eating meat for there health but dont tell anyone. Basically thanks to her post I now have people pointing to her "evidence" that being vegan can be bad for your health. Just wondering if anyone read the post or have been sent this link today or thoughts??</p>

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
<p>I've seen at least one other blogger that did something similar (Krystina at basilandwine.com, formerly organicallyme.com). It annoys me when someone makes allegations of the inherent deficiency of a vegan diet.  I know <em>I'm</em> healthy, though I do take some supplements, B-12 and D2 in particular.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think that the cookbook author is Mollie Katzen, who was never vegan, just vegetarian.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've got a vegan recipe blog at catnip13.blogspot.com, and I promise no goat cheese or salmon on mine. (I'm not 100% vegan, I eat insect-derived foods on occasion, but the blog is all vegan recipes).</p>

·
Registered
3 Posts
<p>I also read her blog post. Apparently she was a strong advocate for veganism before this, primarily because she thought “it was wrong to eat animals” as she stated. My perception is that she chose to be vegan more for animal rights or possibly religious or ethical reasons, rather than for the nutritional health benefits. I’ve been a nutritional vegan for over 16 years and am very healthy.</p>
<p>However, I’ve noticed that sometimes vegans, who eat mostly non-organic foods, cooked foods, and especially refined flour and refined sugar, and highly processed foods, develop a mineral deficiency. It is well known that if a plant becomes diseased, analyzing the soil will show a mineral deficiency. When the deficient minerals are added to the soil, the plant becomes healthy again. Mineral deficient food is really the ultimate problem with food today. Of course, non-vegans likewise need to supplement their diet with minerals if the majority of the food they eat is mineral deficient. Btw, raw chocolate is a mineral rich healthy superfood.</p>
<p>I’ve also noticed some vegans do not get enough plant based essential fatty acids in their diet which may lead to some of the health issues she mentioned. In past centuries, if families ran out of butter during winter, they would possibly not survive because they had no other source of fat. Now we have many vegan sources of fat readily available, such as coconut oil, avocado, nuts, seeds, and raw chocolate, to mention a few.</p>

·
Registered
165 Posts
<p>Everyone's body is different. I love, love, love spicy food; the spicier the better, in fact! But my mom can't handle spicy food, it makes her sick and gives her terrible stomach troubles. What may be an optimal diet for one person may not be the best diet for another, no matter how badly someone wants it to be. We're not all the same, our health needs aren't all the same, our dietary needs aren't all the same. :)</p>

·
Registered
222 Posts
<p>Ginny Messina (kick-ass vegan nutritionist) wrote a great response to this: <a href="http://www.theveganrd.com/2010/11/do-ex-vegans%E2%80%99-stories-make-the-case-against-vegan-diets.html" target="_blank">http://www.theveganrd.com/2010/11/do-ex-vegans%E2%80%99-stories-make-the-case-against-vegan-diets.html</a></p>

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<p>wow thanks smallmama that link is basically how i feel. </p>

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
<p>There are certainly people with metabolic abnormalities that need supplementation that can currently only be obtained from an animal source - my husband has hypoparathyroidism and cannot synthesize vitamin D into a usable form and needs to take an animal derived hormone to not die. Pile up enough food intolerances and allergies and it becomes an extreme hardship to manage to eat enough variety to be healthy on a vegan diet. People with sensory issues, fructose malabsorbtion, yeah, there are reasons why a vegan diet might not be possible for some people. But they are the exception, not the rule.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I get frustrated when people (who may well have a real metabolic or psycho-emotional reason to need the nutrient dense convenience of a diet with animal foods) make it sound like it is not possible for a person with few or no food allergies and a normal metabolism to be healthy and vegan.</p>

·
Registered
603 Posts
<p>Thanks for that link, smallmama... prior to reading that I was really feeling for this gal, it really seems like she *wanted* to want to be vegan and was working so hard to sell herself on it, even as it seemed clear her true desires lay elsewhere (at least that is the impression I got from her previous 'vegan' postings).... but, yeah, someone who claims they need to start eating meat for their health and that eating meat is actually more environmentally sound than being vegan and then the meat they eat is BACON... I'm sorry but they lose alllll credibility right there!</p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts