Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know others have said it...I just really never believed it would happen!

I've had the *perfect* system (for us) for months now. Alexander has been in larges for a very long time. He's had a long rise so on some I even got xlarge when the rise was the only difference in the diapers.

Today he was walking around in a large SugarPea wool cover and I noticed it was really really long on him. I thought....NO it CAN'T be happening! I dug out the medium SP wool covers and one of the only medium diapers I have and sure enough they fit. The wool cover is even a bit long....how did that happen?!

I'm in shock! I can't believe it! I don't know that I would even be able to get mediums in the diapers we have now. And I have 4 large diapers on the way from new (new to us) makers. And we have so many wacky "requirements" that it was hard to get our stash the way we wanted it.

I was just saying this week that I haven't been feeling the wool soaker love lately and haven't been using them because they just seem so bulky...well now I'm wondering if it's just because they are fitting on him differently than they used to?

I don't know... I'm rambling....could someone pass me some cheese for my whine?! Maybe I'll get up tomorrow and find out it was all some weird dream

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the hugs!

Ok so now that I've regained my sanity (well what there is of that) I went digging through my boxes and pulled out some of the diapers I made long ago that were made with to supposedly be one size pattern but I made lots of adjustments to. They work! I forgot that I had retired them mostly because they were too short in the rise...the one thing I didn't change in the pattern because when I was making them when I was ttc I would have never thought that a "one size" pattern would end up too short in the rise for a baby of 5 months or so. I made them without closures too so the width isn't an issue at all. And our covers are snug enough that they keep the diapers in place without closures - I could pin if I had to also.

PHEW! I feel much better - I was seriously freaked out!

I was thinking I would go to flats - I pulled some of those out too. But I'm just too spoiled by the ease of fitteds now to go back to having to fold all the time. However...it does get frustrating if you are having to look for new diapers every few months! It's one thing if you are *wanting* to find new diapers...another if you NEED to.

So the lesson to all is - don't get rid of those smaller diapers! It really can change quickly back to needing them.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Quote:
It's one thing if you are *wanting* to find new diapers...another if you NEED to.
I couldn't agree with this more. I was so frustrated with cd'ing when my dd shot through nb size, into smalls, out of smalls and into mediums. I just couldn't keep enough diapers that fit in the house and it was frustrating!!

Quote:
So the lesson to all is - don't get rid of those smaller diapers! It really can change quickly back to needing them.
Boy do I wish I had headed this advice. My first potty trained in mediums so when the smalls were outgrown by my second I sold them.
Now I wish I had kept them as I could use them and my favorites are impossible to get now. Sigh.

Glad your "one-size" dipes fit!!! What a lucky find!!

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
but it has never happened with my sons, they just grow and grow and grow. In fact I am amazed how much they keep growing.

It would really bother me if my sons strank down a whole size after walking but fortunately that has never happened to us.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep it's the weirdest thing Kathleen! I really thought people were wacky that would post about this before (sorry but I did!)

I think it must be because he had such chunky thighs and tummy to start with (maybe bum too) and it made the rise seem longer? I don't know - all I know is that he used to sport the contractors bum so we had to go to larges. So maybe now that he's slimmed his rise is shorter? I just think it's weird!

But he's been about 21-22 pounds since 9 months (he's 14 months now) and he's grown several inches in that time.

All of my kids have been in the 50% range until about 9 month to a year though and then they drop down to the 10-35% range.

Oh and the Sugarbums still seem ok - maybe because they have more elastic?

I'm really glad I kept my medium SP covers. I really wouldn't want to have to go finding wool covers right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.