Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe myself. I had my first prenatal appt last week and had not gotten on the scale for a few months before that. I am at my heaviest EVER. I swear I gained 10 lbs the minute I found out I was pregnant. I am obviously not trying to lose weight, but I am incredibly down about how bad I look. I am sure my XL maternity clothes are not going to fit. I had intended to lose weight (like, 40 lbs) before becoming pregnant again but egad! I became pregnant unexpectedly!

I am not eating a ton or anything. I am trying to eat healthfully (although I did have pizza last night).

Just ranting... thanks for listening.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I was on a scale in January. Got pregnant in February and when I stepped on the scale in April I had gained umm, 20 LBS!!!! How the hell did that happen? I've been living off of yogurt and cheerios. I'm gettins serious about no junk once the farmers' market opens up. Much easier to swear off junk when you have fresh produce available.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
I'm there with you! I was down to 215 (I'm 6'0'') in Nov, holidays came and I gained 5 lbs, then somehow between January and now I've gained another 5-10lbs (depending on who's scale you use)!
:

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I feel better. In my defense, I am a pastry chef. I am around junk all day long. My second appt is tomorrow with the OB (my intake with the nurse was last week and they weighed me). I will see how I do. I just feel so gross. I caught a glimpse of myself in a full-length mirror today and almost hurled....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I feel ya! I had started working on the 15 lbs that I needed to lose before--and then whammo-- pregnant! Heres what I do: I gain slowly the first few mnths, and think all is going to be ok, and then POW, it slams me the last 3-4 mnths and I turn into a beach whale. I gained 65 lbs with ds, 50-55 w/ dd (I quit weighing at the end!), and am always 2 weeks over due, so thats more time to gain
The problem's are that 1) I only am 5'2, and usually weigh about 105, so the weight really looks bad on me, and 2) I obsessed about it and was so upset about it with dd (my #2), that it was all I focused on the whole pregnancy. I really REALLY don't want to do that this time!!!! You don't want to do that either, it takes out all the joy of being pregnant.

SOOO, I bought a workout video that I am going to try to use, and then I am going to keep reminding myself that I am only pregnant a few times in life for a short while, and one day when I am done with babies, I will really miss pregnancy....so I am going to really try to not stress the weight!

Also, I think some people are just like predetermined to gain a certain amount of weight.... with ds I was 20 yrs old, ate like it was going out of style, and ate tons of crap whenever I felt like it (all the time). gained 65+
DD I was 27, exercising, obsessing about the weight, and eating healthy and sparingly...still only gained 10-15 less than ds (but hey, I'll take those 10 lbs!!).
Hopefully since I started a little heavier this time, I won't gain as much (one can hope)!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Oh, I'm right there with you all. The minute I thought about getting pregnant, I gained 10 pounds. Then I was pregnant with a m/c last fall, and managed to gain another 10 during that time. So now, I'm 20 pounds heavier than I started my first pregnacy (which was already heavier than I wanted to be but still in the "expected" range for my height). Grrr...

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
After I got pregnant but before I found out about it, I paid a visit to the midwife to talk about the "hormonal problems" I was having. She weighed me, and I was about ten pounds overweight. She was actually very sympathetic and nice about this because I had just finished telling her that I was doing my best to eat well and exercise. "That's not so bad," she said. Now I'm wondering how much of that was really being overweight and how much of it was being pregnant.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I am a gainer as well- despite eating healthy. I think some of us are engineered that way. I am trying to focus on just being healthy and whatever I gain is what my body and baby needs. It is frustrating sometimes though- especially at first when you tend to look more fat than pregnant. I am up 5 lbs now- have been for a couple of weeks. I am hoping it stays that way a few more weeks- but it is not much I can control. It seems that I tend to gain in spurts- nothing for a while and then bam 2-3 pounds at once.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have about an extra 40 lbs on me (ugh). Therefore, "they" say I should only gain 15 lbs. With my first, I gained 32. With my second, I gained 35. Not astronomical weight gain, I don't think... but, I still can't help but obsess because I hear it is riskier to be heavy during pregnancy, etc. I always hated being scolded by my OB and midwife. This time, at the new hospital, I voiced my concern to the nurse. She said "well, if you are gaining too much or not enough, we will send you to the nutritionist we have here in the office." I was SO RELIEVED.

My weight has always been an issue and I guess my biggest concern is the safety of the baby, as well as the fact that I already look like a whale.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maisiedotes View Post
II had intended to lose weight (like, 40 lbs) before becoming pregnant...
Me too.
: This was the year I was supposed to get skinny again. Sigh. It sucks because people who know keep looking at my belly region to see if I'm showing. No, that's not the baby, it's my pre-existing fat belly. Sigh. And all my pregnant pictures are going to be me being fat. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Yeah, sign me up for that 40 lb weight loss that never happened! This pregnancy wasn't a surprise though, I gave up trying to lose weight and figured I'd better just get pregnant, now or never!

So I started out this pregnancy weighing what I did at the end of my first pregnancy (I gained 40 lbs during the pregnancy, hence the desired 40 lb weight loss!)

ShwarmaQueen, we are almost the same size! I'm also 6+ feet tall, starting out this time at about 220 lbs. I'm hoping for a 15-20 lb weight gain this time, I really don't need to gain 40lbs again at this point!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I never lost the weight from having my twins 18 mos ago and right about the time I found out I was pregnant I put on 6 pds within a couple days.
Needless to say I'm about 60 pds overweight and not feeling to good about myself right now as well.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I hate the weight thing. I gained 40+ lbs with dd and thankfully lost it all (I owe that to being young and dd loving to be outside in her stroller) but now I'm only 9 weeks or so along and gained 5lbs already...the MW I saw last week was freaked about it and putting pressure on me not to gain "so much weight" this time so that I would have a "smaller baby" (dd was 9lbs6oz)...I'm not going back to her for that and other reasons. I do NOT want my provider freaking out about my weight gain. Not pregnant I'm a good weight, it runs in my family to put on weight, have big babies and lose it all in a few months. No GD, no issues pushing those big babies out (I got dd out in 15 minutes)...I just DO NOT GET why they FREAK OUT about it.

I'm seeing someone new next week and if they get on my case about it I'm planning to say something like "I'm willing to keep food logs and show you I eat well, but I want you to tell me WHY DOES IT MATTER????" Given my history I don't see how it matters if I gain 45lbs.
Sorry...it makes me so mad.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
im scared to get on the scale! so ive stayed clear of it so far hehe but today i HAVE TO at my ob apmt ! its sad bc i was 250pounds after haveing my ds 6months after mind u and i kicked my butt into gear and got to 125 and im 5'9 with 36D boobies well say goodbye to that once we started TTC i got fat again lol im up to 150 ugh for me but im happy and my doc said i am healty so screw it hehe i gained 65+ with my first and he was 7 7 =-P to anyone who doesnt like it they dont take into affect that my boobs went for 36D to 38 E in 3 weeks thats 10pounds right there hehe

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily's_Mom View Post
ShwarmaQueen, we are almost the same size! I'm also 6+ feet tall, starting out this time at about 220 lbs. I'm hoping for a 15-20 lb weight gain this time, I really don't need to gain 40lbs again at this point!!
At the end of DDs pregnancy, I was 270!!!
But I'm with you, I'm definitely hoping to not get over 240 this time! I was sooo miserable with aches and pains with DD, which is what ultimately led me to the early induction-c/s! I'm being very careful with what I'm eating (except for leftover easter candy
)!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maisiedotes View Post
I can't believe myself. I had my first prenatal appt last week and had not gotten on the scale for a few months before that. I am at my heaviest EVER. I swear I gained 10 lbs the minute I found out I was pregnant. I am obviously not trying to lose weight, but I am incredibly down about how bad I look. I am sure my XL maternity clothes are not going to fit. I had intended to lose weight (like, 40 lbs) before becoming pregnant again but egad! I became pregnant unexpectedly!

I am not eating a ton or anything. I am trying to eat healthfully (although I did have pizza last night).

Just ranting... thanks for listening.

I could've written your post! My little one was a surprise too, and right before (as in a week before) i found out, I had made a super huge commitment to lose 20 lbs by the end of May. Well needless to say, I had to abandon my goal and now look forward to putting on 20lbs+.

So far though, I'm lucky. I haven't gained a pound just yet (almost 9wks pg) but to be honest, I really have no business putting on the weight i put on last time. I put on 24 lbs with my first (I was about 10-15 overweight then) and this time, I am 10 lbs heavier so I am hoping my body will allow me to put on only 20 lbs this time. Of course, once my cravings and aversions kick in (which they haven't yet) then all that might go to pieces. We'll see.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Oh, goodness, are we the same people??

Same exact thing going on over here. I stepped on the scale at the midwife's office and told her that I don't believe her scale.

NO WAY! But, I will just (once again) say that I am growing a baby and I will get down to weight loss after this one.

I was just back to weight watchers and had lost 5# when this BFP surprised us!

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Yeah, I swear as soon as I peed on the stick I gained five pounds. I'm another one who wanted to lose 20-30 pounds before I got pregnant, but not so much. I'm hoping to keep the weight gain to 30 pounds or less, but we'll see. I am the same weight I was when I became pregnant with DS but it's still heavier than my ideal weight.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I have to say, I LOVE my OB this time around. I told her I was concerned about my weight gain already, and explained how I used to get scolded in the past if I gained more than 1 lb a week.. she said "Hon, you don't have to worry about that just yet. Just try to eat the best you can." No scolding, no meanness...

I am really glad I am in good company. I have friends who gained the token 15 lbs during pregnancy, all in like the last 4 months.. and here I am, packing it on already. *sigh*

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.