Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a WAHM working in direct sales so I have a flexible schedule. I usually work in the evenings, but there are times when I would like to hold appointments during the day. I would only need to leave ds for up to 2 hours at a time. Right now I'm thinking maybe 5 hours a week - total - would be sufficient to allow me to get appointments done so I can move forward in my business. I work most evenings (M-Th) and that's when I do my "big" appointments. However, there are small appointments that I would love to do during the day and I know it would make a big difference in my business.<br><br>
So I need to find acceptable, flexible daycare that I'm not going to use very much - 5 hours a week now perhaps building up to 10 hours a week in the future.<br><br>
Do I find one provider (a SAHM) and work my schedule around hers? That might be difficult to juggle. I have a SAHM who watches ds for 2 hours every Friday, and she's perfect (AP parenting, cloth diapers, etc) except that the tv is always on and I just hate that. I don't think ds watches tv because she has tons of toys, and she doesn't play children's shows. Just the same, I hate for him to be around it.<br><br>
I've thought about trading off with someone, but I really don't want to spend my time watching someone else's kids - it just does not interest me. I have things I want to do and I'd rather pay someone with money instead of exchanging babysitting.<br><br>
I could have a list of SAHMs so I could always find someone available when I needed childcare, but I hate to take ds from person to person. At this age, I think he needs consistency, and if it's not me, I would like it to be someone else who is consistent instead of just whoever I can find.<br><br>
I have a friend in the same business who put her toddler in pre-school so she has set times when she can work her business. That can be expensive, though. I must say, I would really enjoy having a whole morning to myself, even if just a couple days a week.<br><br>
But the whole reason why I'm a WAHM is so I can be home with DS. I think 5 to 10 hours a week in childcare would be okay, considering the fact that it would help ensure that I make enough money as a WAHM that I wouldn't have to go back to work and put him in daycare 50 hours a week. There are people who work 50 hours a week and do this business on evenings and weekends only, so it's not like I HAVE to do my business during the day. It would just be so nice, though, to be able to for just a few hours every week. I'm just so torn. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Have you thought about hiring a highschool student to come in and be in the house with you in the afternoons? I'm also a WAHM (20 hours a week). I have my 3 year old in preschool half days. I'm able to work with my baby beside me or in my lap or when she naps. But I'm getting ready to hire a neighbor kid to come in and help with the two of them a couple afternoons a week. That way I'm here if the kids absolutely need me but they have someone else here to entertain them, get them snacks, etc. It's a hard thing...finding balance between getting you job done and still fulfilling all the kid's needs. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts