Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attempting to make some fleece covers for dc#2 due next month. With my first, I used only old hand-me-down impermeable covers- plasticy type things. I'd really like to try the breathable fleece and see how it works, but am really bent on making my own to save $$$. I have purchased some fleece material, and am wondering if and how I should layer it to sew. Do you use more than one layer? I need some for overnights, so they have to be pretty absorbant. I have made my own dipes for ds#1, so I have some limited experience.

Also is there a style that works better? I usually prefer the wraps but am open to suggestions.
TIA

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ok I make fleece covers with 2 layers of fleece ( I water proof the fleece with Nikwax Polar proof also) Sewn inside out use elastic in the legs and back area, Then turn right side out and sew shut, and Velcro closure. They work for us over night and DD is a long sleeper/ heavy wetter!

·
Registered
768 Posts
If you have windpro you need one layer of midweight or two layers of lightweight. Actually some folks use one layer of lightweight for daytime use but for night....use two. If it's 200 wt use 2 layers. If it's not any of those I'm not sure, but you'd probably want at least two of Joann's or similar fleece. Just make sure you have enough diaper underneath if you have a heavy wetter!

·
Registered
328 Posts
By wrap do you mean velcro? Or front closure? Personally I like side snapping covers, because they let a little air in thru the vents, and I avoid the awful, noisy velcro. ;-)

To sew it, I'd make sure you have malden mills fleece, not cheapo stuff. I would probably make it two layers, it's easiest. Zig the elastic along the leg openings, and the back, put the fastenings on the outside, then sew inside to outside.

-Kimberly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts