Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I put a screw driver through my thumb again, I will scream!
I use a hammer and small screwdriver, but ther *HAS* to be a better way?

What's your method of taking apart snaps if you screw up?

·
Registered
953 Posts
My friend was over a few weeks ago and was heloing me apply snaps, when she messed up I was like OH NO i have to make anothe diaper... she pulled a small pair of hubbys wire cutters and was able to cut the snap into pieces and it came off with no damage to my diaper!!! WOW

Now i have permenately stolen hubbys wire cutters for my diaper making.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I'm not a WAHM, but I do make diapers for my girls
(This means I mess up a lot more snaps than you :LOL ) I use nippers or side cutters. THey are more heavy duty wire cutters and have a scooped end that helps to prevent cutting the fabric!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I snap pressed (with sons help) my middle finger..ouch. months later it still hurts when i get near that press! I have used my teeth to break snaps off ...i don't reccommend that. Now i USE WIRE CUTTERS!
i THINK I WILL TRY THE SNAP PRESS NEXT TIME! THANKS

·
Registered
768 Posts
I grab the cap part of the messed up snap with pliars and squeeze like hell. It basically folds the cap in half and pops the little prong off. The socket or stud on the other side shoots off like a champagne cork. Works like a charm, though, with very little damage to the dipe and it only takes a second or two.

·
Registered
603 Posts
i used to use my teeth!! *defnately* not a recommended method! ROFL!!!

now i use a professional pair of cuticle nippers and nip the squooshed prong out. it usually only takes 3 nips or so to remove the squooshed prong and the snap piece falls right off. such a gentle method and no injuries!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I also used wire cutters, and thought they were the greatest......until I damaged a diaper.

Now I use a power drill with a bit and just drill the center plastic. You have to apply enough pressure, so the fabric doesn't try to twist. I feel much better doing it this way, as I don't feel like I'm going to accidently ruin the fabric!

nak....always

·
Registered
325 Posts
This is one of the best pieces I received when I first became a wahm
Reb of rebs tie dye told me to try fingernail clippers...and they work great!! If that doesn't do the trick I just put the snap in my press side-ways and give it a good whack

Lacey

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mother culture
I snap pressed (with sons help) my middle finger..ouch. months later it still hurts when i get near that press! I have used my teeth to break snaps off ...i don't reccommend that. Now i USE WIRE CUTTERS!
i THINK I WILL TRY THE SNAP PRESS NEXT TIME! THANKS
Wow
I could have written that post :LOL Except it was my little finger and it broke.
: the finger I mean not the press. ow. Okay I was more like
:
:ignore when it happened but I'm over it. Almost. It's been 10 months now...all healed but there is an odd bump there as a permanent reminder not to rush pressing

I've also used my teeth to break snaps...again not recommending that method
A drill with a small bit does wonders but the wire cutters sounds like a good idea too. Will have to rummage through dh's tools again

·
Registered
399 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by karlin
I turn the diaper over (so the snap is facing the other way) and bring the snap press down on it a couple of times. It breaks apart the snap and doesn't damage the diaper.
Me too

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Snip the cap off with nail clippers (and I have used my teeth on occasion)

Does that way of turning it upside down in the press mess up the press dies at all?? Cause that would be my method of choice but I don't want to damage my beloved press

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.