Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I kinda cheated. I put that celebratory emoticon in the title line hoping that people would read more into this post than need be, so I would get more views and more responses.
:

And now that I've eased my guilty conscience and gotten you this far, you might as well offer your input, dontcha think?

Not that it's extremely relevant right now since I am neither pg nor TTC , but how many here have done wool with a newborn? We are an all-wool family, but I didn't start CD until my son was in mediums (5-ish months). I just can't imagine using PUL with a tiny, flaky, chicken legs newborn!
I want soft, squishy, loveable wool. Would soakers or wraps be the way to go? And is it reasonable to do this, since I will be using PFs underneath? Or will I be washing covers every other day? Any thoughts? I thought since wool is stretchy I could probably go directly from NB-ish to medium-ish, especially if the next babe grows anything like Devlin (born little-ish, but then HUGE in a hurry :LOL)

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, interesting, hadn't really considered the snap/aplix/pull-on issue. That would be a big mark in favor of soakers for me, then, since I dislike Aplix but snaps seem like they would be kind of a nuisance on a tiny newborn who hates to be naked.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
We had a Righteous Baby newborn wool cover and loved it. It was made from a soft recycled sweater and lined in jersey. It only had one snap on each side which made changes go a lot quicker but amazingly it fit my hard-to-fit dd wonderfully. I loved having wool next to her skin.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Very sneaky little ploy indeed.....
:LOL

Well, we started CD'ing DS when he was 2 mos. old and we didn't start trying out wool until he was over a year old.

Sooooooooooooo, for the new baby (due next month) I have got a lot of little newborn wool covers. I bought a variety to see what works for us. I figure the soakers will be washed the least often because I will use those with fitted diapers. I have a few wraps that I will use with prefolds (like Bumpy wool wraps) and I figure those will get washed more- but they are "heartier" and can be washed in the machine so no big deal.

So when are you going to be ttc?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisabc311
So when are you going to be ttc?

Well, now, just a minute...
:

I don't know, I don't see us TTC any sooner than summer 2005, and it might be summer 2006. We'll just see when we get there. I think I would like to TTC this summer (June-ish) but DH might have a word or two to say about it...
:

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
It was in the bitty nb days that I fell in love with the coverless diaper.
I'd put C on a waterproof pad and be amazed to change 5-6 diapers in the next 90 mins. :LOL

My only wool when he was a bitty nb was a sm BBH...and it was pretty big on his nb body (and he was 8.9lb and grew quickly up to 12lbs).

I really like bumpy wool covers for ease of use. Or you could get a pretty felted aristocrat-- but then it might not be pliable enough?

I really didn't mind PUL in those earliest days tho, partly b/c he rarely had a cover at all

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Coverless! Of course! It has been so long since I had a stationary baby that it never occured to me! And when they're so tiny you don't get out much anyway. (My son is a little man about town, he loves to run errands with me, but he is still largely coverless at home).

This is good, ladies. Thanks for indulging me!
:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
From someone is currently using wool on a seven week old and has for quite sometime, let me intervene.

With my son who is almost two, I really never could get into wool. I had some issues with bleeding covers and what not. I used fleece as my preferred method as I found it very easy to just pop it in the dryer when wet or soiled.

But with my daughter I began having issues with her leaking through her PUL and fleece covers. Not knowing what to do, I broke out some wool and so began my love affair. I love, love, LOVE it for her. It keeps all leaks in and protects from blowouts. If she does have a blowout, I haven't had any problem getting the stains out of the diapers.

I almost wish I didn't try it because just add that to something else CD related that I am addicted to. I cannot wait until DH gets a job and I can buy some more wool.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Another one with a newborn currently in wool.
Okay he's 3 months now but he's been in wool most of the time. The first 2 weeks were mainly Proraps though, even at 8.12 pounds at birth and gaining to 10.5 pounds by 2 weeks the Bumpy NB wool covers seemed HUGE on him until about 3 weeks.

We've used wool with both DS#1 &#2 as newborns. I highly recommend going the wrap route with prefolds. They hold much snugger and have less leaking issues. The only wool wraps (with aplix) that I've used on newborns is Bumpy/Biobottoms.

Just in the last month I have really broken out the rest of the wool.
Soakers -Aristocrats (nighttime
), Warm Heart Woolies & Bridget's.
Covers - KangerroKorner, Kiwi Pie, FuzEazy & SimonsCC

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
We haven't done wool w/ a nb yet, but I would imagine that if you're planning on using pfs, stick to the sidewall fold. If you need the link, I can look it up later
I started cding DS at about 3mo and he had EXPLOSIVE bf poops!!
Once I mastered the sidewall fold, I wasn't washing NEARLY as many covers. Just a thought

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.