Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay - when I was prego I got really psyched about cd and had a blast making all these great aio and fitted diapers (mostly from kits). I have incorporated all different quality fabrics - hemp/cotton, velour, flannel, sherpa, fleece.
Now baby is here and they are just not working at all. Some of it I have figured out for myself...for example, the crotch I think is too narrow, b/c when I put in any doublers I get big gaps. My son is apparently a heavy wetter - he goes through diapers and clothing at least 2-3 times a day and the same at night!! I change him every few hours and as soon as I hear those poopy sounds...I think that is often enough(?). He is also a big baby - born at 8 1/4 but 9 1/2 pounds already at 2 weeks old. He is out of the small size aios b/c he has a bug round belly and little tiny hips(like his Dad
), so I can't get the legs snug on any cd without making the waist too tight! The bigger size that I made are still a little too big (length and leg openings). I can't afford to start over so I am going to try and tweak some of what I have. Like maybe putting some aplix lower on the front of the larger size so I can bring the tabs in more over his hips then his belly(?).

Of course with baby and a toddler, I don't have 2 minutes to rub together!!
:
I also tried pf's but just can't get a good fit with those either. I was ready to cry last night with my pile of ieffective diapers and a very unhappy little baby being undressed at 2am! Oh, and yet another failure... 2 layer PUL isn't breathable enough for his sensitive skin so those are out, and the prowraps leave really red marks on his legs, and prickly heat type rash across his belly -I just ordered some windpro to try making some fleece covers - I thought I might try soething like the stacinator style 2 lyer fleece cover - they look soft around the belly but snug around the legs(?).
Right now he is wearing a Tushies sposie - but even those leak!!

HELP! Any advice/encouragement?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I think it would help considerably to change his diaper more often.

I change my almost-8-week-old son's diaper every time he pees, which is usually about twice an hour if he's awake. (He cries whenever the diaper is wet, which is how I know to check!)

We use prefolds and kissaluvs contours, fastened with a snappi or pins, with bummis super whisper wraps and proraps covers.

I've never had a leak or a rash with either child (until my daughter was 18 months old, anyway).

Good luck!

·
Registered
328 Posts
sorry nak...
the lower velcro on the larger sizes may help some also try angeling the velcro tabs down in a V towards the center. This will cinch in the legs while leaving the waist looser. Do you have a pattern for a side snapping or side velcro diaper? I had to use wool or fleece when my ds was that young too cause the pul just left horrible red marks on his skin. If you can invest in something instead of sewing (I have a toddler and a newborn too and omg its hectic!!) I would reccommend some snugglebottoms without velcro and you can just lay them in a wrap or maybe even Mother-ease Sandys might work good. Also like the pp said I had to change my ds at least once an hour in the begginning, usually twice. Sometimes more!!
And definitely if you are using prefolds pin/snappi them or they will leak like crazy on a newborn. Hang in there!!! I found the first month the hardest!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time! I've only made a couple of diapers for ds, and neither of them are right. Its hard when you make your own, especially if you don't have a baby at the time to try them on. I hope you can make some adjustments and get them to work with you. I only used disposables when ds was an infant, and he had huge blowouts and pee leaks ALL the time. I tried many different types and none really worked well. I just resigned myself to having leaks at that stage. So you're still better off saving your money on sposies and either buying a few new dipes or making some more. Also maybe for now try changing every hour, you can learn his schedule and adjust, but I'd rather go through more diaper changes than full wardrobe changes. As you said you have a toddler too, you'll know that this stage does pass!

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Just a thought --- premium sposies (which would give your lo a rash for sure) leak that badly and that often in the first month or two also.
Keep at it mama! You'll find the solution that works best for your sweet babe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.