Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I usually post on the EC board, but need BF advice now. My baby is only 9 days old and she's not nursing a lot at night. I usually need to wake her up, and now she's just taking a few sips. I don't want to lose my supply, which has been great up to now.

My questions are: (1) Would you wake the baby and (2) If so, how would you do that? She's not waking up to eat!

Thanks in advance for advice.

Oh, and also... since my milk came in, she seems to be suckling less vigorously. My breasts are like leaky faucets- could it be that she's just letting the milk drip in sometimes? That would be about 70 - 80 drips per minute if she was.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
I can only speak from personal experience and things may have change since Kailey was a baby but,

1)I didn't wake her to eat, and my supply held up well. 2) see number one. I thought that if she were hungry she would wake up, which she did. She often slept through the night in her early days, but woke at 4-5 a.m. for a vigorous feeding.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Is she nursing a lot during the day? I think as long as they dont go past 4 hours until they are at least a month old that is ok. I know some do sleep longer than that but for my kids I wouldnt do longer than 4 hours because of supply issues and because at that age there tummy is so tiny. Most will wake to eat if they are truly hungry tho.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I probably would wake a baby that age to nurse at night. If nothing else, it will make it less likely that you'll get your fertility back early.

The only way I would consider NOT waking her up would be if she was full term, healthy at birth, getting at least 12 really good nursing sessions during the day, had a natural birth with no pain meds, and plenty of wet and dirty diapers. If all of those conditions are met and you really think she's getting plenty to eat, it's probaby okay to not wake her. But waking her is definitely okay, and you won't have to be as careful to make sure she's getting enough if you do it.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I wouldn't wake her. I had similar worries when my son was a newborn. He hardly ever woke to nurse, whereas his sister woke all the time! I never did wake him up to nurse, and I had a way more than enough milk. And, although he's never nursed what seems like alot, he is a very, very large baby!

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
We didn't wake DD and she had failure to thrive. I'd say that as long as the baby is gaining weight, nursing tons during the day, having enough dirty diapers, then you should be fine.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have a 2 week old nb and she's been sleeping for 5-6 hours every night since the day she was born. I would never dream of waking her up to nurse. I sleep next to her so sometimes she nuzzles my breast while I'm sleeping so it's possible she's nursing a little while she's asleep but she's never woken up crying/screaming to nurse. I've never been concerned and I'm grateful for the sleep I'm getting. She nurses plenty during the day and she's pooping and wetting like she should. If your baby is nursing fine during the day and wetting/pooping the way she should be, I don't see a reason to worry.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
I think it depends on your baby. My son was born at 37 weeks, and had jaundice, and would have just slept all the time if we did not wake him to eat. Tiny babies can end up with failure-to-thrive if they are born a little bit on the weaker/sleepier side, and then not encouraged to nurse frequently. I was told by my midwife to make sure he nursed at least a little bit no less often than every two hours, or every three hours overnight. They also had me keep logs of his poops and pees, but I don't remember how many per day they were looking for.

After his jaundice started to clear up (around 2 weeks old) we spaced it out to every 3 hours (every 4 hours overnight). By the time he was one month old he was nursing on demand and it was okay to go longer if he was sleeping. HTH.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all!

12 nursing sessions during the day? How long does baby nurse for each one in that case? She nurses about every two hours and re-gained her birth weight in four days... went up three ounces in the subsequent four. She certainly seems to be thriving and meeting the conditions for pooping and peeing.

"she's never woken up crying/screaming to nurse"

She doesn't cry, she makes sort of vocal noises and a gaping mouth. I hear these long before she gets that little frown on her face.

I guess I should clarify- she wakes to nurse, but it's only for like five minutes before she goes back to sleep! I thought a good nursing would be 30 - 40 minutes if it's every 3.5 hours or so (which it is at night). And yet, even with waking her back up, and sitting there for an hour at a time, I feel she's only really sucking for 20 minutes at each session. And I do have to wake her up for that. I'm afraid she's not getting the hindmilk.

During the day she's much better, as you all mentioned... maybe I should stop worrying.

THanks again so much for sharing your experiences.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I say just do whatever feels natural. I personally never even thought to wake my daughter to nurse, even when she was already sleeping for eight + hours at one month. She's fine, I'm fine. Never had a problem with supply. It's up to you.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
If you are worried about her not getting enough hind milk then do block feeding. Let her nurse the same side 2-3 times in a row before switching. This way she will get the hindmilk that she needs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCatLvrMoMof2 View Post
If you are worried about her not getting enough hind milk then do block feeding. Let her nurse the same side 2-3 times in a row before switching. This way she will get the hindmilk that she needs.
yep, this is what I do, after I read something about clumpy poop and after I learned about hindmilk, which I didn't even know about.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by izobelle View Post
I guess I should clarify- she wakes to nurse, but it's only for like five minutes before she goes back to sleep! I thought a good nursing would be 30 - 40 minutes if it's every 3.5 hours or so (which it is at night). And yet, even with waking her back up, and sitting there for an hour at a time, I feel she's only really sucking for 20 minutes at each session. And I do have to wake her up for that. I'm afraid she's not getting the hindmilk.

During the day she's much better, as you all mentioned... maybe I should stop worrying.

THanks again so much for sharing your experiences.
She's doing great!! With the information you've given I wouldn't be worried at all. Don't worry about the clock and how long she's been nursing. All babies are different. Some are very efficient and get what they need very quickly. My daughter was a 5 minute nurser her entire nursing career! My son likes to nurse for much longer. Each baby is different!

Sleep when the baby sleeps and don't sweat it. She'll be awake to eat all night soon enough!!

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
My dd slept through the night (7 to 8 hours) from 3 weeks old until 7 months (teeth). I was nervous, but couldn't wake her up. I read a lot, and all the resources said something about the baby reaching around 11 lbs. meaning they had bigger tummies. Well, she was almost 12 lbs at 3 weeks, so she was doing great!

Sounds like yours is doing great too.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
FWIW, my baby was really tiny (under 6 lbs), born just past 37 weeks, & was very sleepy (had hospital birth w/epidural
: ) - I woke her up to feed her every 2 hours, & once I changed her diaper to wake her, she usually nursed for quite a while. She only nursed from 1 side at a time, so I'd be terribly full & couldn't sleep anyway if I waited longer. At 6 months (& about 15 lbs), she sleeps 5 hours, eats, sleeps another 3, then eats. She's never cried when hungry, she just sort of squirmed around & did the opening mouth thing, & since 3 months, does thumbsucking.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, sorry, I didn't get back here due to baby. :-D Just wanted to say I've stopped waking her and am sleeping much better. She's a good baby and does wake herself.

Block feeding- so that's what it's called! I do that already because she had green poop for awhile. We do 3 - 4 hours on each side.

Thanks so much for your advice. It has definitely helped!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.