Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since birth ds has always woken up from sleep screaming and angry. He is almost 16 mos now and it's getting even worse. It doesn't matter if he is waking from a nap or a night's sleep, he wakes up pissed, screaming and unconsolable. I really don't know what he has to be so angry about. We cosleep with him and I hold him in a sling for the 2-3 hour nap he takes (if I try to put him down, he wakes immediatley).

When he was baby tiny, I could hold him and nurse him, but now he hits and screams and won't take the boob. He screams for about 20 minutes and then suddenly he is fine
: and then will nurse. I'm at my wits end. I cannot handle this. I want to help him but he just flips out if I get near him.

Please help!!! I don't know what to do or how to handle it.

·
Banned
72 Posts
Goodmorning! Your post reminded me of my daughter (who is now 13), but when she was a baby and up until she was 2 years old, she would wake up in a fiery, angry mood. She also had a terrible snoring problem, and after taking her to the ear/noe/throat doc, he determined that her tonsils were extremely enlarged and were causing her to have sleep apnea. The apnea was causing her to lose a subtle amount of sleep, which became worse and worse as time went by, until she was just a crazy, mad little girl when she awoke from naps and nighttime sleep.

We decided to have her tonsils removed, and on the second night post-surgery, she was such a quiet sleeper that my husband and I went into her room several times just to see if she was breathing!! Her personality was like night and day after that. She slept soundly, she awoke happy and rested, and from that point on she was our sweet little Sarah. (Now that she's a teenager, I'm wondering what the doctor can remove to make her that sweet little girl again!
)

Maybe this is your little one's problem?? Good Luck!!

wife of 18 yrs to
: momma to
: :2bfbabe:
:
:
:
:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaLuvsHerBabies View Post
Goodmorning! Your post reminded me of my daughter (who is now 13), but when she was a baby and up until she was 2 years old, she would wake up in a fiery, angry mood. She also had a terrible snoring problem, and after taking her to the ear/noe/throat doc, he determined that her tonsils were extremely enlarged and were causing her to have sleep apnea. The apnea was causing her to lose a subtle amount of sleep, which became worse and worse as time went by, until she was just a crazy, mad little girl when she awoke from naps and nighttime sleep.

We decided to have her tonsils removed, and on the second night post-surgery, she was such a quiet sleeper that my husband and I went into her room several times just to see if she was breathing!! Her personality was like night and day after that. She slept soundly, she awoke happy and rested, and from that point on she was our sweet little Sarah. (Now that she's a teenager, I'm wondering what the doctor can remove to make her that sweet little girl again!
)

Maybe this is your little one's problem?? Good Luck!!

wife of 18 yrs to
: momma to
: :2bfbabe:
:
:
:
:
Was it the snoring that clued you'll in to it being sleep apnea?
Ds doesn't snore but his dad sure does

·
Registered
777 Posts
Just wanted to warn you that the tonsils may not be to blame. My son had his tonsils and adenoids removed 1.5 months ago (also for sleep apnea (causing severe failure to thrive)). He has always woken up very upset and groggy/clingy. We were told this was because he wasn't getting a good sleep due to the apnea and that this would stop after the surgery. Well, it's been 1.5 months and he still wakes up upset almost every time (especially from naps). He wakes up crying and wants to cuddle on the couch watching one of his shows. Somedays he's up and playing in 5 minutes, other days it's one hour. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to this (time of nap, length of nap, full belly, empty belly...). I think maybe there is no real reason for it, but just part of his personality. If your son isn't snoring than he likely isn't struggling to breath all night either...it may also just be your little one's personality. If you figure out how to put an end to it let me know!!!!

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Have you tried offering him something nice to eat when he wakes up? Sometimes it seems to be a low blood sugar issue with our DS, and it helps to get some food into him right away before it turns into an all out screaming session.

·
Banned
72 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bean's mama View Post
Was it the snoring that clued you'll in to it being sleep apnea?
Ds doesn't snore but his dad sure does

No, the snoring wasn't what we were concerned about initially. It was that she was getting recurrent ear infections, and the ped wanted to put tubes in her ears. Upon his exam, he found that her tonsils were quite enlarged, and he asked us if she snored. When we started thinking about it, we saw how much that made sense...she wasn't sleeping well because she wasn't breathing well (snoring). I'm not sure if your daughter snores, or not, but it might be worth a trip to the ped to see if they think her tonsils are unusually large. ?? I'm usually very anti-peditrician, and especially anti-surgery on a small child, but I'll tell you this was the best thing we could have done for her. She was like night and day once she was recovered from the surgery.

I hope things work out well for your little one. (and YOU too
:
!)

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I would also say try food. Rivka often wakes up like a bear, except when she was about 18m she started screaming CEREAL!!!!!!!!!!!!! so we got the clue she wakes up starving. I also don't think she sleeps enough. She slept from 7pm until 7am two nights ago and for the first time I can remember she didn't wake up screaming. So I would second the suggestion to try food and see if that cures the grumpies.

Good luck
Toddlers are so hard sometimes. They know what they want, but they don't know how to clue us in
:

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
My ds was the same way, up until about 2 months ago. He just turned two in August. He's only ever had one ear infection and has never had what I would describe as sleep apnea...so who knows what his deal was.

Food never worked, either. Getting him downstairs and trying to get some food into him only served to make him more irritable. He usually just needed time. Time to wake up, calm down, stop crying... It was awful. He has pretty much stopped waking up crying every morning (Thank God!), but he still wakes up grumpy. I'll take that over the crying any day.

So my .02? It ended. I hope yours does, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.