Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I start working next week.. :^(

And I have to get up at 5am before my husband or my 3 month old DD who cuddles up next to me. She unfortunately goes to sleep with my nipple in her mouth so you understand how I don't want to startle her when I have to get up by using a conventional alarm clock.

Any advice from you working moms?

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
When I need to get up, I set my cell phone alarm on a very soft volume with a gentle ring tone, and put it inside my pillowcase. It's just enough to wake me without being startling.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I wake up to NPR on the clock radio, and when it first comes on, it wakes DD enough for a morning nursing while I hear the headlines, and then she goes back to sleep for another 1-1.5 hours while the radio is still on. I notice that if I turn it off, she wakes up.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I just bought an alarm clock that has an ascending alarm. It starts out very quiet and gradually gets louder. I generally manage to turn it off after just a beep or two and DH does not even stir, but knowing that it is going to get louder and definitely wake me out of a deep sleep if I don't wake easily is the only thing that lets me sleep. I get horrible insomnia if I'm worried about the alarm clock failing. In fact, I have 2 alarms. The 2nd goes off a half our later and is the OMG get up and scramble alarm, but it rarely goes off. I just need to know it is there.

The ascending alarm feature was available on most of the clock radios when I bought mine at Target a couple of months ago so I don't think they are hard to find.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
This works if you aren't very heavy sleepers..

We've used a standard alarm clock, and had it set in another room, it was loud enough for us to hear it, but not DS..

Or, we just take a pillow and cover the speakers, and again we'll hear it go off, but not DS..

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Dh has an alarm clock. If he doesn't immediately turn it off, I stretch my leg around kiddos and start shaking him with my foot.
The kids (even light sleeping dd) usually sleep through.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
When I need to get up, I set my cell phone alarm on a very soft volume with a gentle ring tone, and put it inside my pillowcase. It's just enough to wake me without being startling.
When DH has to get up very early (3 a.m.), he uses my cell phone, too.

Usually though we wake up without an alarm. DH taught me how to look at the clock, memorize the time, and then wake up exactly when you want to. That's pretty much the entire technique! It works for us.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
yep - i do the cell phone under the pillow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.