Mothering Forum banner

Wal-Mart=Evil, Formula=Evil (sometime necessary), and Organic=Good I'm confused

1K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  dallaschildren 
#1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has any one else seen this? I moved my first post from TOA.

I was reading a mainstream parenting mag at the library while ds was playing a compute game and saw this a print ad for this:
http://www.parentschoiceformula.com/?deptid=274

I'm not sure what to think. It nice that there is an affordable organic option, but my conspiracy theory mind doubts if Wal-Mart can make/sell a true organic product. Also I worry that it will be a discouragement to nursing because it furthers the notion that formula/ABM is just as good.

What do my fellow MDC'ers think?

#2 ·
I read it and found the ingredient derivative for where the DHA/ARA comes from.

Quote:
The lipids DHA and ARA in Parent's Choice ORGANIC are derived from natural vegetarian sources by Martek Biosciences. These single-cell vegetable sources provide the closest match to the DHA and ARA found in breast milk and are the only sources of DHA and ARA recognized by the FDA as safe for inclusion in infant formulas
I noticed the wording being close to that of the Non-organic counterparts.

Quote:
While breastfeeding is best for babies, Parent's Choice ORGANIC Infant Formula is a complete and wholesome alternative
They are NOT making claims or statements that it is BETTER or "just as good".

I personally wouldn't buy into it becuase I don't/won't shop Wal-mart/Sams club.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by afishwithabike

Quote:
While breastfeeding is best for babies, Parent's Choice ORGANIC Infant Formula is a complete and wholesome alternative
They are NOT making claims or statements that it is BETTER or "just as good".
True, but remember that this is a carefully researched and calculated statement that uses the fact that people are loss-averse rather than gain-driven. Seeking out the best isn't as important (to the "average" person) as avoiding something bad. What it should say is, "Formula is worse than breastfeeding. Our version isn't as bad as some others, though." Or something like that.

Actually, it shouldn't say that, since it's an advertisement. But if it wants to be honest, it should say even more. "Formula has been shown to cause an increase in illness among children and a decrease in their adult IQs."

#5 ·
I guess my concerns about Wal-Mart selling organics has to do with the fact that the only IRL organic items I've ever seen into Wal-Mart are the Gerber Tender Beginings baby foods and Horizon milk. There have been numerous complaints about Horizon/Dean Food cheating/fudging on organic standards (probabily due to atempts to cut costs and meet demand due to being a Wal-Mart supplier).

#6 ·
: And, with all the money they have to throw around, they have a lot of push when it comes to "redefining" organics. Something else to look out for in the future. That also came up in the other thread on Walmart introducing organics and I agree with whoever posted that general idea.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pumpkinsmama
: And, with all the money they have to throw around, they have a lot of push when it comes to "redefining" organics. Something else to look out for in the future. That also came up in the other thread on Walmart introducing organics and I agree with whoever posted that general idea.
I thought they already DID that?

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnnice
I guess my concerns about Wal-Mart selling organics has to do with the fact that the only IRL organic items I've ever seen into Wal-Mart are the Gerber Tender Beginings baby foods and Horizon milk. There have been numerous complaints about Horizon/Dean Food cheating/fudging on organic standards (probabily due to atempts to cut costs and meet demand due to being a Wal-Mart supplier).
Our WM carries Stoneyfield, which got a decent (3) score on the site the pp linked to. They also carry Earthbound Farms, Newman's Own Organics, Amy's, Cascadian Farms, and some others.

ETA- Stoneyfield got a "3" for milk and "4" for yogurt

#11 ·
Wal Mart can carry all the organic products it wants. And, they all can be "organic" within the law. But, organics isn't just about regulations and practices. This is a fairly recent addition to the pie. Organics is about a philosophy. It's a movement. And, there is nothing organic about Wal Mart. Some of the products are on the up and up. Others just comply with the law and can call themselves organic. Wal Mart wants to be "Green" and boost their image and their profits. They have no spirit about their philosophical approach to organic. Bleh!

#12 ·
Wal-Mart will singlehandedly destroy what little organic standards we have now. They are not interested in health, they just want all of the market and the money that goes with it. Wal-Mart is well on their way to monopolizing the entire retail and grocer industry. They will brow beat the organic farmers into a price point that they simply cannot afford to match so inevitably if they want to have any hope of competiting, they will succumb by lowering their standards, hence the quality of food. Who loses? Consumers. Again.
Wal-Mart needs to stick to selling their one time use, inferior, crappy products.

DC

#13 ·
I'm personally scared that WM is starting to carry "organics" - for all the reasons DC said.

<<shudder>>

I had to sup DS with formula, and used Baby's Only org. It contains the precursors to the DHA and ARA, but not the actual finished acids. The reason for that was that there was no bioavailable way to provide it artificially as a complete nutrient. I believe that most F uses a fungus so that they can claim to have DHA and ARA, but that it does little to nothing for the kiddos?

So whatever they say about being the only organic to contain it, I first question the science of it, and then the possibility.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallaschildren
Wal-Mart will singlehandedly destroy what little organic standards we have now. They are not interested in health, they just want all of the market and the money that goes with it. Wal-Mart is well on their way to monopolizing the entire retail and grocer industry. They will brow beat the organic farmers into a price point that they simply cannot afford to match so inevitably if they want to have any hope of competiting, they will succumb by lowering their standards, hence the quality of food. Who loses? Consumers. Again.
Wal-Mart needs to stick to selling their one time use, inferior, crappy products.

DC
Organic farmers could just refuse to sell to WalMart. It would probably benefit them not to rather than lower their quality and prices.

WalMart is not going to put local Co-Ops or Wild Oats, or Whole Foods out of business. Most people that shop at these places wouldn't set food in WalMart anyway.

WalMart is NOT going to attracted "higher end" customers. The only thing they are going to accomplish to enable poorer people to better afford "organic" foods. If that is a good thing or not I am not sure since I sincerely doubt the quality of the food they carry. Maybe it is better than mainstream however and will only benefit people.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by aniT
Organic farmers could just refuse to sell to WalMart. It would probably benefit them not to rather than lower their quality and prices.
This may be true of small individual organic farmers, but on the whole organic foods are sold through wholesaler and the individual companies and farmers would have little say in who gets to stock their product.

#17 ·
Wal-Mart will attract the "Stoneyfield Farms" type of organics. And in a retail environment that large, the Stoneyfield Farms will outsell the smaller suppliers (farmers) hands down. To compete and continue to sell wholesale to the Stoneyfield Farms of organics, the smaller guy is going to be approached to cut his costs to SF, so that SF can match Wal-Mart's price point. How will the smaller guy cut his costs...by cutting corners on the quality. Then on the flip side, you've got the consumer....consumers who don't know a hill of beans about organics, who will buy into it lock stock and barrel.

#20 ·
I know quite a few people who would buy into "organic" at wal-mart. They don't know any better, don't understand everything, but think that if they buy something that says organic on it, they being incredibly responsible. I can see these people using the fact that walmart is stocking "organic" items as a sign that the business isn't as evil as crazy people like me say. Just like their "green" stores that use solar energy and so on...

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by brookely ash
aniT - if you can find Columbia Gorge Organic juice, they are SO wonderful and VERY LOCAL! yum yum yum!!

Coffee People now carries their juice - oh, and naked juice is owned by someone too, only i can't remember who! no good!
Well the C Monsters are what we generally buy. The kids like the Strawberry and the Strawberry Banana ones. I haven't seen anyone else who makes the equivants to these. I also have never seen Columbia Gorge OJ, but then again, I have never looked. OJ is so expensive and goes so fast around here we generally buy Florida Natural on sale.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.