Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>There is a lot of gluten in the young Waldorf home.  Sigh. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'd love to bake bread but have no good GF (also dairy and soy free) bread recipes that require kneading. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>For you GF Waldorfers - would you mind sharing your bread recipe?  Also, does any GF person follow grain of the day?  Is there some sort of GF modification to that? </p>

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
<p>I don't know of any GF bread recipes that you can knead, they're all pretty batter-y.  I also haven't heard of any GF Waldorf folks doing different grains of the day.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>But as far as sources of great GF recipes I like <a href="http://www.elanaspantry.com/" target="_blank">http://www.elanaspantry.com/</a></p>

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
<p>I've kneaded plenty of bread and we're gf/df/ef.  I use Domatas Living Flour, and it usually produces a dough that is able to be kneaded. :)  I use it with vegan yeast bread recipes (because they don't use egg), but I'm sure you can use it with normal bread recipes as well.</p>

·
Registered
613 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
<p>We are GF waldorfers. I have a few recipes at my blog. Our most recent favorite is a sweet potato biscuit that requires getting the hands involved. And millet pancakes are a weekly event in our home. </p>

·
Registered
93 Posts
<p>I'm a raw vegan Waldorf mom.  Raw food lifestyle followers are very into Steiner so we (raw food Waldorf parents) are a significant faction in the Waldorf movement today.  I know that gluten is not healthy for any human.  I always write about this in my Raw Food blog---how eventually Waldorf schools and culture are going to have to address this, because it is a really unhealthy habit and so much a part of the current school structure.  I make lots of raw breads, which are easy and totally nutritious.  For example Matt Amsden's Raw Breadsticks or Onion Bread, both from Rawvolution.  There are many more breads that can be made in a healthy way without the horrible-gluten-explosion currently going on in Waldorf.  I think it's a very outdated practice, and I predict that as more people move consciously away from gluten, the Waldorf schools will finally respond and change this.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Once I wrote an entire blog post about this subject and sent the link to my local Waldorf school.  They did not respond.  We are prospective students who have attended their mom/tot program for 2 years, and I was disappointed that they ignored my email.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've not ever tested for gluten, but as a raw foodist, it is not necessary.  It's not part of my lifestyle, and not considered by raw foodists to be a healthy part of the diet, so in other words, my family has no diagnosed "intolerance", but rather it is something I avoid by choice.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>One observation I have about people who need to suddenly go gluten free is that they have a lot of recipes with sugar or other processed ingredients, which is really unhealthy way to go and not going to support health.  Since I came to be gluten free as an indirect result of detox/cleansing, I can see that many gluten free recipes don't address the issue of getting healthy nutrients into the body (and avoiding sugar and other harmful substances).   I realize that the motivation is different: people are just trying to re-create their usual recipes.  I only share the observation in case it may be helpful to anyone.</p>

·
Banned
11,594 Posts
<p>i would say that because so many families here in NZ are gf and sugar free, most of the recipes that are used in the waldorf schools are.</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts