Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't quite figured out the Waldorf culture there in Maine. Anyone care to enlighten me? I've looked at all the Waldorf schools in Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire. I'm not really interested, per se, in sending my kids to a Waldorf private school, but I am interested in joining or forming a homeschooling co-op if/when we move there. Is there a strong Waldorf-oriented homeschooling community area somewhere in the state? What do I need to know?<br><br>
TIA!

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
I live on the Blue Hill peninsula, which has the Bay School here. Since this is a small community, that school has a pretty big presence, but homeschooling is also very popular here. Most of the hs families I know are pretty Waldorfy. A lot of those families would probably choose the Bay School if their children had to go to school somewhere (and they could afford it!). My daughter goes to a Waldorf-inspired preschool, and it is one of several preschool/childcare options in the area that fit with that philosophy. There has been a lot of talk among some of my friends about starting an alternative school, but there's also a fair amount of doubt that there are enough people to support it. Informal hs groups/partnerships happen all the time.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! That's really good to know. I'm a little hung up on the school situation in Maine (and VT and NH, as I am also interested in those states). In the area that I live (SW US) there are quite a few waldorf-inspired charter schools (no tuition). I'm very sad there aren't more options like that in NE. My heart is in the North East...but I know my kids (and myself) will need other kids and other adults as they grow. I just can't see our family ever having the ability to pay for a private Waldorf school (and I'm not sure I could figure out a way to rationalize the cost in my head, if we could, no matter how much I love Waldorf). Thanks for the information about the homeschool groups, though!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts