Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is currently in a waldorf preschool. I have a pre admission interview for waldorf kindergarten next week. I know that they have a no tv policy. My son watches approximately one movie a week on the weekends. Should I be honest and tell them we aren't entirely tv free? I really want him to attend this school as it is the only waldorf school near to us. I am not a good liar.

Kelly

· Registered
393 Posts
Yes, I think you should be honest. You are your child's parent and if you think once-a-week movies are okay, it would be good to tell them. They can let you know how strict the policy is and you can let them know if you can make a change or not. Other Waldorf parents may also be upset if your kid is watching movies and that violates a policy that you agreed to. (Often the parents care a lot more than the teachers!)

It might interest you to know that I have known three different Waldorf teachers who let their young kids watch a little t.v.

· Registered
2,335 Posts
That is tough. I think I would go with honesty. It could be embaressing if he started playing using names and actions he has seen in videos and this then becoming an issue once you have been admitted on the understanding that he has no TV. It also sounds like you would be very stressed out by omitting this....
Also when I read the title to your thread I thought "some TV" would be an hour a day or something more than 1 video a week.

Sorry I do not have more advice, I am sure there are other mamas here who have BTDT.

· Registered
1,228 Posts
Be honest. This is an interview about making something a part of your life. Starting out by lying about something which will most likely come out in the future isn't a good thing.
Also, why would you want to go into a situation where you felt like you had to lie about your lifestyle?

I don't necessarily think that you need to volunteer it but do be straight forward if it comes up.

· Registered
6,582 Posts
What they all said. I would be very uncomfortable with a school situation for my son where I felt like I had to lie about something in our lifestyle. It's a lot bigger then telling your dentist you floss everyday or something like that. This is your child. If they make you question your choices, it might not be the best fit in the first place.

· Registered
1,228 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luca'smum View Post
Thanks for the responses. I will definitely be honest about how things are at our house. I don't want to have a dirty little secret hanging around.

Cheers, Kelly
Just out of curiosity, what school are you interviewing with?

I have a friend from NZ who was at a school there. I could always ask her about it and get a feel of what it's like. If you are uncomfortable posting it, you could always pm me.

· Registered
1,609 Posts
What does television mean. I could see them getting upset about broadcast TV with commercials and all. A movie a week could just as easily be at a theater. You could not even own a television and still watch a movie on a portable DVD player or computer.
What do they mean by "no tv".

· Registered
2,335 Posts
Masel:

Quote:
What does television mean. I could see them getting upset about broadcast TV with commercials and all. A movie a week could just as easily be at a theater. You could not even own a television and still watch a movie on a portable DVD player or computer.
What do they mean by "no tv
An interesting question.... I think it might have something to do with screen time and not content of the TV show or DVD etc... but for some people it could be the the content.... it's worth clarifying.

· Registered
2,928 Posts
I would be upset I sent my kid to a no tv school and kids who went there had tvs. I suggest you be honest.

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think it is a no screen time policy, including TV, movies and computers. I don't think it is the content as much as the time spent inactive in front of a screen. I ran into my midwife yesterday, she has two children at the school and she was quite encouraging about the interview. She says their main concern isn't to do with screen time but with your commitment to the school.

· Registered
2,717 Posts
The schools vary on how strong their stance is on this.

Quote:
I would be upset I sent my kid to a no tv school and kids who went there had tvs.
And yes, I'm not happy that my child goes to a school where this is one of their philosophies and the child next to him's family doesn't seem to honor it.

· Registered
1,228 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melaniee View Post
The schools vary on how strong their stance is on this.

And yes, I'm not happy that my child goes to a school where this is one of their philosophies and the child next to him's family doesn't seem to honor it.
You ought to try our school! My daughter is the only screen free child in her class and one of the only ones that is free of character toys and the like. SIGH

· Registered
2,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hannahsmummy View Post
You ought to try our school! My daughter is the only screen free child in her class and one of the only ones that is free of character toys and the like. SIGH
How disappointing that must be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.