Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ok to walk around after your water breaks? I always thought it was ok, but my OB told me that it was not ok because of the risk of a prolapsed cord.
Thanks,
~Melissa

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I walked around from the time my water broke until about 10 minutes before I pushed my baby out (15 hours). It was way too uncomfortable for me to sit or lay down. No prolapsed cord here.

I think you'll hear the same thing from other posters.

As far as any clinical reason (e.g., prolapsed cord), if there actually is one it's probably one of those really, really rare things, or some freak thing that happens once in a while. I really wouldn't concern myself with any of those 1:1,000,000 things.

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
Yes. The OB sounds
: any thought of dumping him?

-Angela
:

The only drawback to walking around after your water breaks is dribbling all over the place. Makes it harder for the "Mess" to be contained

Remember the law of gravity, heavyer objects tend to go downards faster than lighter objects. Baby weighs more than his/her cord. So cord prolapse really isn't *that* much of a risk unless you get AROMed when the baby is still high up there, then the cord is usually just wooshed out with the water.

So keep that damn crochet hook out of you, get a different Dr, and just stay home.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
yes, its perfectly fine, OBs love that scaremongering tactic........same with the "its unsafe to be in water after your water breaks because of infection"

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
If your baby is breech AND high or you have a medical condition in which your body makes an insane amt of amniotic fluid (you'd be measuring way off and baby would be constantly doing the backstroke and somersaults) then there is a real risk of prolapsed cord.

when you AROM every pregnant woman then the risk of prolapse is much higher. Maybe he is used to seeing women labor on their backs after he breaks their water?

you're switching docs right?

Less then 10% of waters break before labor, most are in late 2nd stage.

·
Registered
822 Posts
If your water breaks, sometimes the babies head will seal the leak.
My water broke and I wasnt leaking everywhere because the baby was resting on my cervix.

I walked everywhere, took a shower.
He sounds a bit old school, i would prob. drop him!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
The thing is that the most likely time for prolapse is AS the water breaks. Once it's broken (esp with a GUSH) then if there's no prolapse then, then it's not likely to happen after.

-Angela

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Quote:

The thing is that the most likely time for prolapse is AS the water breaks. Once it's broken (esp with a GUSH) then if there's no prolapse then, then it's not likely to happen after.

-Angela
: Sorta like flushing a toilet. If there's nothing caught in the vortex, then it aint goin down

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I went and got checked after my water broke - just to make sure no prolapsed cord (assume the baby was still quite high maybe?), then spent three days on my feet, walking around my neighbourhood, then the hospital, then the ward, then my room. My midwife and the nurses and my doula all heartily encouraged this.

So, yes, walking is fine after your water breaks. Not to be alarmist, but if you have a cord prolapse, then even flat on your back is very dangerous - they put you on all fours head down and the midwife puts her hand inside to keep the baby off the cord.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
What a dumbass OB. Ones like him are the reason that people don't trust our very nice, reasonable and evidence-based OBs.

IF the baby's high and IF your water breaks with a gush, then at the time of SROM there's a risk of prolapse.But if the head's engaged or comes down with the rupture (usually happens), there's no real risk because that head isn't floating back up just for fun.

We usually have moms come in when they rupture to listen to the baby, then if they're GBS negative send them home until labor or 24 hours (sometimes longer). We have women walking around on the unit ruptured for DAYS. We put them in the tub. We do everything pretty much the same except we don't check them.

Sorry, but your OB's a ninny.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandora114
Remember the law of gravity, heavyer objects tend to go downards faster than lighter objects.
Not to nitpick, but objects fall at the same rate regardless of mass. If you drop a bowling ball and a hairspray can off the top of your roof, they'll hit the ground at the same time.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I walked around for several hours after my waters broke naturally at home. DH took me for a 4km walk at 11pm to see if it would get the contractions going, it didn't though only the nasty pit did the next day.

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by glendora
Not to nitpick, but objects fall at the same rate regardless of mass. If you drop a bowling ball and a hairspray can off the top of your roof, they'll hit the ground at the same time.
yeah you got me bah!

·
Premium Member
8,105 Posts
Quote:

-Angela
Yup, what she said. If you're gonna prolapse, you're gonna do it if the baby's head is high and you break with a gush, but you're gonna do it WHEN the water breaks...not randomly after, unless someone pushes the baby's head back out of the pelvis to make room for the cord to drop down...

I will reiterate the pps' suggestion that you explore other options in primary care providers...if you're convinced that you should have a hospital birth, a good thing to do would be to call the homebirth midwives in your area and find out who their back-up docs are. These docs are usually much more friendly toward mobility during labor and birth. Good luck.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'm with everyone else. This may be a sign that you need a new OB. Moving around, including walking, is fine after your water breaks.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I had to walk to and from a few different appts after my water broke at 29 weeks, and even with a preemie that weighs half what the average full term baby weighs, I still didn't prolapse.
I did try to stay off my feet as much as possible because of leaking though, just because I was early, If I'd been full term, I wouldn't have worried about it and would have just kept on walking around as normal. DS was head down, and I'm pretty sure he was well engaged. When he was finally "allowed" to come out, it was fast and furious!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts