Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try to take lots of walks with DD in the sling or the bjorn, but I am always worrying about the sun getting on her. She wears a hat, but her arms and legs are still exposed. We try to go in the later part of the day and stick to the shade, but not everywhere is shady ykwim? I am unsure of when to put sunscreen on her, if we go out for a 10 min walk? a half hour walk? an hour walk? I almost feel like putting her in the stroller because I know she will be shaded there.
Help! I am new at this!

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Also new at this...but I've been told no sunblock until babies are 6 mos. old. I use a pouch sling, so her legs and arms are mostly covered--but I take along a burp cloth or prefold to drape over her face if she's getting direct sunlight. If we're in the shade or it's hazy, I don't do anything. I guess the other thing you could do is to put her long sleeves and long pants when she's in the Bjorn--but it's SO hot these days (at least where I am) that that might be undesirable?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
My very natural MD told me to go to the natural foods store and ask them for a good sunscreen for my babe. I settled on California Baby. I know there are anti sunscreen people out there, but I've had lots of cancer in my family, so I don't mess around.
We went camping when dd was 4 months, and put sunscreen on her the whole time. Even if she is in the shade, she's getting cancer causing ray exposure.
If I take her out in a carrier, she wears a hat, and arms, face, and legs get sunscreen. She is 5 months old now. HTH.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just saw this sunscreen when I saw my naturopath on Monday. It is called UV Natural and says on the bottle that it is the only sunscreen approved for babies under 6 months. I bought some but haven't tried it yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.