Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was leaving the Big W this afternoon, I walked past a woman sitting at a table with a placquard that read "autism awareness campaign". She had a few fliers, a card table and a jar for donations. She called so loudly to me that I looked back at her and she asked "how old is your baby and is he vaccinated?". Well, my boys ARE vaxed, b/c I knew no better until recently. Sooo, I plunged in and said such. To which I recieved a BARRAGE of info. She launched into me so hard I had to remind myself that I had no responsibility to stand there and be attacked.

I must say, I was taken aback. She said, and I quote, "well, your baby is healthy now, but since you've vaxxed you'll start to see in a few years all the awful side effects, and that's when it starts. Tell me what vaccine groups your baby has had and I'll tell you what you can expect from now on". I reminded her that while they boys were vaxxed to a point, that we've stopped while I can get my head straightened out on the research, figure out what we've done vs. what's required and that it's ultimately a parenting decision that she has no right to make for me. She was silent for a moment, and then started up again with how I'm so lucky that my baby is healthy TODAY, but look out, because tomorrow, because of my vax choice, he won't be.

There is a fine line between education/dissemination of information and a scare tactic. This women was telling me that my child WILL experience serious, life threatening/altering side effects from the vaccines. I'm just scratching the surface of vax research, but I'm already aware that this isn't accurate. My oldest did have a fairly extreme reaction to his last round of shots, and that's what pushed me to learn more. I won't be bullied though - I cannot change what we've done, only what we do from this point forward.

Grrrrrrrr. As if I'm not already beating myself up for for the circ and vax choices we've made, I had 4 minutes of lecture from a total stranger who's got my boys illnesses all lined up for them as they age. Sheeesh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,252 Posts
Yeah, attacking people is really never a good way to promote your cause


I imagine her heart was in the right place--she was probably so passionate because she has experienced a lot of hurt and doesn't want others to go through what she has gone through. But still, thumbs down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,059 Posts
It is kind of nice to hear about someone voicing the dangers of vax in a public place. I see the opposite nearly everywhere I go...a lot of people think nonvaxers should have their kids taken away from them and forcefully vax'd even though 99.9% of those people don't know jack about what vaccines are and have done no research beyond what their doctor told them. I think all vax'd persons suffer health consequences whether major or minor -- I certainly know I have suffered.
This experience may have given you just a taste of what it is like being on the other side. That said, I'm not glad that you felt bad...it is great that you are learning that there are better options for you and your family.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,262 Posts
Contact the Wal-Mart and ask if she has any affiliation with the store. If yes, then complain to the manager about her tactics.

My guess is that she does not. Lots of businesses will allow folks to place tables/displays outside their stores with info for the public.

Our local Wal-Mart, Safeway and Super-1 all have allowed different groups to solicit for various causes. Lots of petitions (changing state laws, etc), charity raffle ticket sales, health fair info, church group car washes, pet rescue adoption days, that type of thing. The stores simple allow them the space, but have nothing to do with the groups themselves.

Did you get any information as to what organization she was with? If she was soliciting for donations, she must have information available on where that money is going.

Go back and ask her! Then, call the number on the cards/flyers/whatever she has, and complain to them about her tactics. Passion on a subject is one thing, rudeness and LIES is quite another.

I think you should re-word the title of this thread to "Rude Autism Awareness Campaign" instead of Walmart Awareness (unless, of course, Wal-Mart is running the campaign).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,009 Posts
That's terrible! It gives us all such a bad rap! It would be like a pro-breastfeeding mom sitting outside Wal-Mart screaming at every mother who walked out with a formula purchase. That never wins anyone over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,553 Posts
Can you go back and tell her she needs to tone it down? It's a good thing, in theory, what she's doing, but she's going about it all the wrong way, and may just need someone to "show her the way" - that attacking people who most likely are vaxxers, isn't going to get them to change their minds. Crazy non vaxxers don't help our cause
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,755 Posts
Holy crap. Honestly, whether or not I vax is not something I'm going to start discussing in Walmart with a total stranger! And being yelled at and harrassed is definitely not going to win her any converts! I'd contact the group she's with and make sure htey know you appreciate hte message and htat someone is out there talking about it, but this particular woman is using extremely poor tactics, and in fact turning people off.

Or bring her a copy of 'How to win friends and influenc people'. It's easy to find, every thrift shop and yardsale I've ver seen had a copy or 10.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,959 Posts
Yea, I might do what Synthea said. All buddy-like, "Ya know, I so with ya on this campaign and I'm glad you're getting the message out. But just between you and me, I think others would really better hear it with honey than vinegar. Just a tip..."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,813 Posts
While I certainly wouldn't promote my cause in public like that, I don't view her approach/tactic as any different than the most provax ped's and the CDC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,059 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahNH
Holy crap. Honestly, whether or not I vax is not something I'm going to start discussing in Walmart with a total stranger! And being yelled at and harrassed is definitely not going to win her any converts! I'd contact the group she's with and make sure htey know you appreciate hte message and htat someone is out there talking about it, but this particular woman is using extremely poor tactics, and in fact turning people off.

Or bring her a copy of 'How to win friends and influenc people'. It's easy to find, every thrift shop and yardsale I've ver seen had a copy or 10.

How did you gather from the OP that this lady was yelling? Sure, what she was saying didn't sit well with the OP and she may or may not have had research to back up her words...but when feelings get involved there is a fine line between perceived reality and what is actually going on. JMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,755 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdavis337
She called so loudly to me that I looked back at her and she asked "how old is your baby and is he vaccinated?". Well, my boys ARE vaxed, b/c I knew no better until recently. Sooo, I plunged in and said such. To which I recieved a BARRAGE of info. She launched into me so hard I had to remind myself that I had no responsibility to stand there and be attacked.

I reminded her that while they boys were vaxxed to a point, that we've stopped while I can get my head straightened out on the research, figure out what we've done vs. what's required and that it's ultimately a parenting decision that she has no right to make for me. She was silent for a moment, and then started up again with how I'm so lucky that my baby is healthy TODAY, but look out, because tomorrow, because of my vax choice, he won't be.

This women was telling me that my child WILL experience serious, life threatening/altering side effects from the vaccines.

I had 4 minutes of lecture from a total stranger who's got my boys illnesses all lined up for them as they age. Sheeesh.

Having never used the quote feature before I hope this post comes out ok
:

I don't understand why someone who wants to change a persons mind thinks it will be effective to critisize so harshly things that already can't be undone. How about offering real information, if you want people to be educated? Talk about how the kids may be at higher risk for certain things-ok. But be sane about it! Tell mom what to look out for as far as symptoms. Ask if they know that vaccines are NOT mandatory. Explain how to get exemptions for school. Names of non-vax friendly doctors in the area. The ingerdiants that are in vaccines and why tehy're bad. Things she could do to help prevent problems(nutrition, supplements, whatever). How most people think since all the mercury was removed that everything is safe now but that's not true because......

I just don't see the tactics this person is using doing anyhting much but offend, which is not going to make people want ot know more. They're going to talk about that weirdo at Walmart who thinks they are a bad parent for doing what every doctor and major medical organization recomends.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,009 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahNH
I just don't see the tactics this person is using doing anyhting much but offend, which is not going to make people want ot know more. They're going to talk about that weirdo at Walmart who thinks they are a bad parent for doing what every doctor and major medical organization recomends.
ITA. I see the correlation between the tactics she's using and the tactics of most pediatricians, the CDC, etc., but I still don't think it's the right way to win people over. Again, the formula/breastfeeding analogy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdavis337
There is a fine line between education/dissemination of information and a scare tactic
She might have been over-zealous in her approach, but I guess she is the mother of a once-healthy, now vaccine-damaged child and doesn't want any other mother to be duped or bullied as she was into allowing unsafe vaccines to be injected into their healthy, normal babies. She doesn't want anyone else to lose a child like she has.

Her approach is not the best but she is probably taking advantage of every opportunity to warn others. As EVC said "her heart is in the right place" and I agree with LI. What is the difference between her approach and the scare tactics, misinformation and bullying that medical people use? Some of them are just as passionate.

If people don't hear about vaccine dangers from zealots, where are they going to hear it? And even if some anti-vax information is incorrect, it might make people stop and think for a change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Synthea™
Can you go back and tell her she needs to tone it down? It's a good thing, in theory, what she's doing, but she's going about it all the wrong way, and may just need someone to "show her the way" - that attacking people who most likely are vaxxers, isn't going to get them to change their minds. Crazy non vaxxers don't help our cause

^yeah that!^
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherlock007

If people don't hear about vaccine dangers from zealots, where are they going to hear it? And even if some anti-vax information is incorrect, it might make people stop and think for a change.
Where? Well, from doing my own research. In fact, when my boys were first born and I briefly toyed with the idea of not vaxing, I communicated with a few VERY intense ladies that turned me off so quickly with their approach that I dismissed the idea. They were not the REASON I chose to vax in the first place, but I might have delved more deeply otherwise. I got no real info, just constant "it's bad, you'll all suffer"...etc. I personally do not respond well to the bully approach. I switched pedi's when I couldn't get a word in edgewise about my parenting choices, I refuse to the leave a dr's office without being Heard and Answered and I don't run home and research something just because it's been splashed across the front page.

If I wasn't already involved in trying to figure out what's what with vaccinations, an encounter with this woman at Walmart wouldn't have been the encouragement necessary to do so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by twins10705
It is kind of nice to hear about someone voicing the dangers of vax in a public place. I see the opposite nearly everywhere I go...a lot of people think nonvaxers should have their kids taken away from them and forcefully vax'd even though 99.9% of those people don't know jack about what vaccines are and have done no research beyond what their doctor told them. I think all vax'd persons suffer health consequences whether major or minor -- I certainly know I have suffered.
This experience may have given you just a taste of what it is like being on the other side. That said, I'm not glad that you felt bad...it is great that you are learning that there are better options for you and your family.
Yes, I was initially pleased to find that. But a few seconds of "conversation" revealed that she had nothing to offer but scare tactics and bullying. I'd have loved to get a pamphlet, something with research references, vax-free docs in the area, basic pro-non-vax info, etc. Instead I got verbally badgered. Just not helpful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherlock007
If people don't hear about vaccine dangers from zealots, where are they going to hear it?


I can rattle off a half dozen "zealot" anti-vax and/or anti-mercury groups -- and they are reason the CDC was forced to address the mercury/issue and why most people are aware of thimerosal's existence. They are the reason many pregnant women know to avoid the influenza vaccine b/c Lord knows their OB's arent' going to warn them. They are the ones holding signs outside the state legislature trying to get state thimerosal bans enacted.

I can go on and on.

And people still think they're just crazy, in-your-face mothers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdavis337
If I wasn't already involved in trying to figure out what's what with vaccinations, an encounter with this woman at Walmart wouldn't have been the encouragement necessary to do so.
I would have loved to hear someone, ANYONE scare the sh*t of me a decade ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,341 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LongIsland
I would have loved to hear someone, ANYONE scare the sh*t of me a decade ago.
me too, but change it to 7 years ago while i was still pregnant.

i am not sure why this is called "walmart" advertising thoguh- since it really isn't something that walmart is doing- but someone who happened to be in one of their stores... heck, i'd be happy to see that in our local walmart- i wouod know that there were more than 3 non/delay vaxing mamas in my area- i only know of tow other mamas in my area who selectively/delay, and that is it.
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top