Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simon -- 15 months old -- loves to play in the fridge. Today he found a bag of walnut bits and ended up dumping them all over the place. Oops. The bits were very tiny. He tried them and loves them. I've read not to give nuts to children under 3 because they are said to be a choking hazard. I don't see how this would apply in this case (each bit is about half the size of a raisin). I'm thinking of making these one of his usual snacks since they are healthy and he likes them. Is this a good/bad idea? Thanks for any insights.

Oh... allergies do not run in my family or dh's. Simon has already had items containing peanut butter, soy, and wheat with no adverse reactions. We're vegan so he won't be having any dairy or other animal products.

·
Registered
869 Posts
FYI, We've been giving walnut bits to my 2 year old (24 mo) for the past 2-3 months. But he has lots of teeth now and can chew them up really well. I'm not sure that I would have given then to him when he was 15 months old, because I was afraid of the choking risk. But, he was a late eater too, so it probably depends on your child.

One other thought - you could grind up the walnuts so that they have some tiny chunks, and give him this walnut butter. That way he would still get the taste and a little crunchiness. Also, I have made soups with walnuts in them and then given my son the walnuts out of the soup. That way they are MUCH softer but still walnutty!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Does your ds have a sensitive gag reflex at all? I think if I were to give walnut bits to ds, he probably end up gagging and then throwing up. (His gag reflex has been *so* sensitive ever since he had rotavirus a couple of months ago.) I'm just thinking about the way sometimes when you're eating nuts and they can be a little, I don't know, scratchy? going down. Anyway, it's probably not something you have to worry about, but just in case you've got another easy puker like my ds, I thought I'd mention it before your floor is decorated with bits of slightly-digested walnuts.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
My girls are 21 months & have been eating nuts for about 2 months now. I love nuts & eat them quite a bit. They begged & begged for them for so long before I would give them to them. I finally relented & they LOVE them. They've got lots of teeth and aren't big chokers, so we've had no problems. I make sure to watch them closely when eating them, though, just in case.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamadawg
They've got lots of teeth and aren't big chokers, so we've had no problems. I make sure to watch them closely when eating them, though, just in case.
Yeah, that. My DS eats nuts in things, like muffins or quick breads, but he's been very good about chewing too, and I watch him like the proverbial hawk. So I'd say proceed with caution.

~Nick

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
IMO, ever child is different and you know your child the best. I have been giving DS things that are on the 'above 3' list for a month of so. Because I know he can handle them. He's an excellent chewer! I say go for it and keep a close eye on him!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts