Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't used cloth yet, but would like to give it a try.

I am using pampers now, but I would like to stop. I don't have much money to try out different options. I am so ready to stop throwing it away on disposables!

I think we want an AIO, or cloth trainers. I've been looking at CD reviews and links, but I am overwhelmed by the options.

My daughter just turned 2.

She is on the tall side, probably 34 inches, and very thin, about 23 lbs.

She is REALLY active. Abnormally so.

She is usually with me, occasionally with MIL. We might need to use daycare a couple days a week in the near future.

She is learning to use the toilet (about 50% for urine and 20% for bowel movements).

She can sort of pull her pants up, but not all the way without help.

We live in an apartment building with shared coin-op laundry; 2 machines for 10 apartments. No fancy cycles on the washers.

We do not have access to a diaper washing service where we live.

What do you recommend to start with at this point? I appreciate any suggestions you want to share.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I'm in a similar situation, and curious to see any replies. I sorta jumped the gun, though, and just ordered a few aio's!
I hope I can figure out what to do with them.
:

·
Registered
788 Posts
The cheapest option would be to get prefolds and trifold them into a velcro cover (like Bummis or Proraps). Then you could simply put it on your baby like a disposable. The covers can be washed by hand if need be, and the prefolds don't take any special care in the laundry.

If you want something even easier, then pockets or AiO's would be the way to go, but cost more. Fuzzi Bunz are great pockets and many sites now offer free inserts. You can save on drying costs with pockets since you are supposed to line-dry them anyway (maybe just toss the inserts into the dryer with your regular clothes (after washing them with the diapers first, of course)). If you are planning on having more children you could get BumGenius pockets because they are onesize and will fit a wide range of sizes. Fuzzi Bunz seem to be more readily available gently used for a reduced price though. Plus they have a seconds website where they are $10 each (without inserts though).

Decent AiO's can be expensive and take a long time to dry, but are the easiest for other caregivers to figure out. For example Bumkins AIO's are pretty good, though you'll want a doubler with those.

When you figure out how much you've been spending on Pampers, I'm sure you'll see that even the most expensive cloth options are cheaper in the long run, except since your daughter is so close to potty training. But that means you won't need as many diapers either. Get a decent brand and it will have good resale value (all the brands I mentioned seem to have good resale value).

·
Premium Member
6,371 Posts
happy heiny makes a pocket trainer with snaps on one side(for messes). you can request snaps on both(i just did)
I havent tried one yet, just ordered it like moday but i have used happy heinys and i think i'll be happy with it.
http://www.tinyheiny.com/catalog.php...Fcategory%3D43
prefolds make a good stuffer and the dont cost alot and you could easily hand wash the shells(the pocket diaper) in your sink.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WickidaWitch
happy heiny makes a pocket trainer with snaps on one side(for messes). you can request snaps on both(i just did)
I havent tried one yet, just ordered it like moday but i have used happy heinys and i think i'll be happy with it.
http://www.tinyheiny.com/catalog.php...Fcategory%3D43
prefolds make a good stuffer and the dont cost alot and you could easily hand wash the shells(the pocket diaper) in your sink.
You could also try snap-ez pocket trainers - www.snap-ez.com

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone for the help. I am checking out those links.

I think I will order one or two from a few different places, then try them out, and order more when I see how they work.

DD stays dry overnight, and usually uses the toilet when she wakes up, so I think we can skip the stuffable trainers and focus on "feel-wet" AIO styles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts