Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so yesterday i was shopping with my dd, and the woman who was being rung up when i arrived was talking about her sons. she was buying gifts for her oldest son because he was very sick. SHINGLES! she was talking about how the doctors were very confused as to how her son could have shingles because you can only get shingles if you've had the chicken pox, and he never has.<br>
and then she went on to say how she was supposed to watch her 2 younger sons very carefully because if they got it they would have to be hospitalized immediately.<br>
i was sitting on the floor with dd with my mouth hanging open.<br>
are these doctors deliberately withholding the fact that her son's illness was caused by the vaccine or do they really not make the connection?<br>
it just baffles me that the mom didn't think of the vaccine and that the doctors haven't said, hey, maybe we should skip this vax for your baby.<br>
sigh. poor kiddos.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I completely understand what you are saying! My dd just started at a small cooperative preschool and although I've delayed her vaccinations I am now starting to bring them up to date. When I asked other parents if any had delayed or not given vaccines most of them said "no" and asked why I was asking. I told them that dd is going to get a MMR in the near future and if anyone wasn't vaccinated (or pg) I wanted to give them a heads up. Most parents had never heard that you could get sick from a vaccinated child!<br><br>
So, no I don't think docs tell parents squat about the bad side of vaccines.<br><br>
Lea

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Just goes to show you that vaccines don't mean we're 'safe'as many are wont to believe.<br><br>
It is worth noting, however, that it is possible to be exposed to Varicella zoster, mount a mild immune response but never develop symptoms of the chicken pox. This means, it is possible to get shingles later in life even if someone hasn't visibly had the chickenpox.<br><br>
This is a definate con to getting the varicella vax.

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm convinced i live in the dumbass capital of the world. i figure the average IQ here is about 87. i think there's been too much inbreeding. and maybe the heat has melted some brains.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts