Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!<br>
I am very interested in a homebirth, I live in Douglas MA. I think I found a midwife that I like. We have been emailing back and forth and I have talked to a few mamas who have/are using her. Our only problem is financing, bc of course insurance won't cover it.<br>
If aren't able to swing it, does anyone know of a good hospital/birthing center that isn't too far from Douglas?<br>
I had our first at Milford Hospital. The birth itself was ok, though I did feel pushed into the epidural and I had an episiotomy which I didn't want. I won't even talk about the breastfeeding support or lack thereof.<br>
I would need some place fairly close bc from start to finish, my labor with DS was only 6 hours.<br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Amanda! I gave birth to my son at home this past December. We also were concerned about payment because our health insurance would not cover a home birth. I can't directly help you regarding a midwife or birthing center, but I will say that our midwifes (Sacred Birth Midwifery in Northampton, MA) took a payment plan. They basically allowed us to name our price, which was around 2,000 and we payed about $200 a month for a year. It was well worth it, so, so worth it. If you find the right midwife you might want to ask about her fees and if they are flexible. Many are willing to help because unlike hospitals and buercratic insurance companies, they aren't in the game for profit, but to provide the best care for women and infants.<br>
I also had "back up" care at a local hospital who our midwives are friendly with - one of the nurse midwives there was happy to see me once a month and I got blood work and the like through them so our insurance covered it and in the event we had to be transferred we were in the system. I do hope that you find what you are looking for - but don't give up because of money - a home birth is an experience is amazing! good luck

·
Registered
677 Posts
First off, I would say no one should 'settle' for a birth they don't want. Many many many HB midwives offer payment arrangements, so keep talking.<br><br>
Secondly, have you talked with other HBmidwives? Check out the MMA for others <a href="http://www.massmidwives.org/" target="_blank">http://www.massmidwives.org/</a>.<br><br>
Heather

1 - 3 of 3 Posts