Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. We're expecting our first baby in October, and we plan to practice EC with her. I have in my mind that we'll start about 3 weeks after her birth, but I guess if I feel good it could be sooner.

Anyway, I want to use cloth diapers during those early weeks, then as back-up, and maybe for night-time, at least at first? Not sure yet.

I am most attracted to AIO's because it seems like they will be the easiest to get on and off to potty the baby. I would make them myself so cost is not a huge issue.

What do y'all think? Are AIO's the right choice?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
personally, i liked using non-waterproof diapers (fitteds w/out a cover or a snappi'd prefold) as back-up because it allowed me to know when she was peeing immediately. that way i could cue her while she was going (to help cement the association of the cue sound with eliminating) while making sure that she wouldn't be sitting in a wet diaper more then a couple of seconds. i did use a cover or an AIO when we were out though, as i didn't want to have to deal with a wet sling, chest, or lap when i didn't have a change of clothes for myself.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
If you are going to make dipes yourself. I would make most of them fitted with a pocket so you could use them with or without an insert..depending on the situation. I like snaps fro EC because you can unsnap one side to slide on and off kinda like undies. 2-3 layers of hemp fleece would help stop misses from getting everywhere. I also reccommend making or getting some pull on Wool soakers these will keep babe warm and they are easy to get o and off. If a wool soaker gets wet just let it dry and reuse. Less wash!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts