Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have a typical wooden train table and a large wooden train set. we have since acquired a geotrax and now my oldest is into model trains. even my youngest has outgrown the old wooden train table - it's never big enough for the layouts they want to do and it's just a few inches too short both ways to accomodate the oval track for the model railroad.<br>
interested in adding a topper to the table to make it larger. anyone have any experience with this or making their own train/play table. all ideas welcome! i REALLY don't want a second table and i'd rather find a way to make do with adding to what we have.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Once, I tried making a train table for wooden track. It came out WAY too small. We ran the wooden railroad in the formal dining room (hardwood floors) for several years, until DS got too old for it.<br><br>
We have a LEGO train table made from flat panel closet doors (several sections - in retrospect a single large panel door would be better.) wE got ours at Habitat's Reuse/Restore store, or you can find a large flat un-drilled door at the home center. I think the topper is the way to go, you will need to bolt it down somehow.<br><br>
Model train enthusiasts have some nifty way to put long legs on flat doors, not sure what that way is though. There may be a leg solution at IKEA

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
No help really, but we got rid of our train table for the exact reason you stated. It was too small for what the kids wanted to build.<br>
We clear a space on the floor (in our formal living room aka playroom) and they go to town there.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
We never got a train table for DS' Thomas stuff and he has quite a bit. We just didn't want to sacrifice any floor space. Instead, we keep all his Thomas in a bin in the living room and when he wants to play we just build a track in the living room. I finally had to clear the last one we built because we had it out for 3 days and the floor was getting kind of gross so I needed to clean it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
We got rid of our train table for the same reason. Ds prefers to build on the floor. The table was way too confining.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts