Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really thinking about cd'ing, but I have no idea where to start. I am afraid I will buy stuff I don't need. So if someone will please point me in the right direction.

1. I have lots (maybe 2 dozen or more) of "old fashioned" cloth diapers I used for burp rags with dd#1 Could these be used in pocket diapers.....or for anything else.

2. Are these the same as prefolds??? Some of the ones i have are thick in the middle???

3. I bleach anything I can, can I bleach cd?

4. I have a septic tank...Will the extra washloads cause problems?

5. With the covers that velcro or snap closed can I just lay a prefold (or 2) inside the cover and put on baby without bins or a snappi ?

6. What can I use for wipes...can I just buy lots of washcloths???

7. How to you handle dirty dipes in public???

8. Do you wash covers, prefolds ets all togeather or sort them?

9. Do you change your cover every time you change baby???

10. Is it cheaper to wash cd's after paying for increased water and elec bill, extra detergent etc?

Thanks so much in advance

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
1. I have lots (maybe 2 dozen or more) of "old fashioned" cloth diapers I used for burp rags with dd#1 Could these be used in pocket diapers.....or for anything else.
Yeah, they definitely could. Are you talking about flats? Or prefolds? Prefolds are the 3-panel type diapers that Gerber sells as burp cloths. Flats are the thin, one-layer huge squares our grandma's used to diaper with. Both can be used to stuff pocket diapers or as diapers themselves.

2. Are these the same as prefolds??? Some of the ones i have are thick in the middle???
Prefolds are the ones that are thick in the middle. Are they the Gerber ones with poly in the middle? Those do NOT absorb well and I really advise against using them unless you have to for financial reasons. Chinese prefolds or Indian prefolds are the way to go. My fave store for them is either www.nopins4baby.com or www.naturalbabies.com.
Why do you bleach everything?????? Your washer is enough to get your diapers and clothing clean without bleach. Bleach breaks down the fibers faster so your diapers will wear out faster but I SUPPOSE if you really wanted to, you could bleach them. I've never used bleach on my diapers in 10months so far with younger dd and 6 months with my older daughter(before she potty learned) and I've never had problems with cleanliness or stink or staining(that the sun couldn't get out of course.)

They shouldn't. I cloth diapered with my older dd while living with my parents who have a septic tank and it wasn't an issue. Just don't use flushable rice paper liners or whatever.

5. With the covers that velcro or snap closed can I just lay a prefold (or 2) inside the cover and put on baby without bins or a snappi ?
Yes you certainly can. Some people do that exclusively. I find that after the newborn stage with a wiggly baby, that doesn't really cut it anymore for us. I like to snappi our prefolds for trimness and to cut down on poop leaks.

That's what I do. Also, if you are so inclined, you can cut up squares of fabric and sew the edges to prevent fraying and use those. They all work the same.

We have a waterproof bag(called a wetbag) that we put dirties into and dump them in the pail when we get home to be washed later.

I don't. Everything goes in the same.

Nope. If they are wet, they get air dried and put back into the rotation. I wash PUL-type covers every few days and wool gets washed when dirty or once every month or so when I lanolize it all.

10. Is it cheaper to wash cd's after paying for increased water and elec bill, extra detergent etc?
Depends on which way you go. If you diaper cheaply, yeah definitely. If you buy all the most expensive stuff with wool and fitteds and all-in-ones, it could cost more. But generally you would have to have a huge stash of pretty expensive stuff to spend more than you would with sposies.

Meg

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
I have lots (maybe 2 dozen or more) of "old fashioned" cloth diapers I used for burp rags with dd#1 Could these be used in pocket diapers.....or for anything else.

You can use them to stuff pockets or you can use them as diapers or as doublers or as burp rags or anything else you can think of.

Are these the same as prefolds??? Some of the ones i have are thick in the middle???

Sounds like prefolds.

I bleach anything I can, can I bleach cd?

I wouldn't recommend it. It breaks down the fibers, makes them less absorbent, and makes them wear out faster.

With the covers that velcro or snap closed can I just lay a prefold (or 2) inside the cover and put on baby without bins or a snappi ?

That's what I did.

What can I use for wipes...can I just buy lots of washcloths???

Sure, you can just use washcloths, or you can buy cloth wipes from the same places that sell cloth diapers.

How to you handle dirty dipes in public???

Keep a small, sealable, waterproof bag, called a wetbag, in your diaper bag, to put used diapers in until you can get home and transfer them to your diaper pail.

Do you wash covers, prefolds ets all togeather or sort them?

If you use PUL or fleece covers, you can wash them with the diapers. If you have wool covers you wash them separately.

Do you change your cover every time you change baby???

Yes, but you don't put the cover in the diaper pail unless it's a drenched or poopy PUL or fleece cover. Damp, poop-free covers can be air dried and used again later in the day. Poopy wool covers can be hand washed.

Is it cheaper to wash cd's after paying for increased water and elec bill, extra detergent etc?

Washing your own diapers at home is the least expensive way to diaper a child.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts

Absolutly - lots of people swear by flats. We use prefolds in this house. They definitely work! (apparently best cover over flats is ME airflow)

Yes, you can, if your septic will take it. Just so long as there's no elastic in them.

yes- but poo gets on the cover if you do this, so you'll need more covers

Same as plastic nappies - chuck it all in a plastic bag (we use old zip lock tortilla bags) and bring it home.

We don't. New cover every 12 hours or so, or if poo gets on it, or if it's wet (not often)

·
Registered
677 Posts
I agree with everyone above. Also if you get things that you aren't using or just don't work great on your baby, you can resell them or trade with other moms. This is what I'm doing right now, as I'm new to cding and bought things to try out. I'm finding that I like good old Prefolds with covers. I have a few AIO that are cheap Kooshiers and they work great for outings. They were really cheap on ebay. I also got a pattern and my mother in law and my mother are going to help me make some pocket dips for the nanny and dh to use.

I wash every 2-3 days and sometime a presoak and other not. I rinse off all poop before it goes in the pail. Water in my area is pretty high, so sometime I just do a normal wash with a second rise and they are nice and clean. You can also hang dry to save on your etc. bill and then just throw them in the dryer for 5-10 minutes to soften them up.

good luck.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Agreed with everyone above as well.

And wanting to add that if you're on a septic system, you really want to avoid bleach - it kills the bacteria in the septic tank, and the tank NEEDS the bacteria to break down the waste. ALL antibacterial products should be avoided as much as possible when using a septic tank.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Hey! I think you are in my LLL of Simpsonville group! I've been CDing O for almost the entire time she just turned 2. PM me and I can help you out.
jen

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sustainer
With the covers that velcro or snap closed can I just lay a prefold (or 2) inside the cover and put on baby without bins or a snappi ?

That's what I did.

I just wanted to add that my covers hardly ever got poop on them. I never had more than 3 or 4 covers and I never ran out.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LizaBear
Agreed with everyone above as well.

And wanting to add that if you're on a septic system, you really want to avoid bleach - it kills the bacteria in the septic tank, and the tank NEEDS the bacteria to break down the waste. ALL antibacterial products should be avoided as much as possible when using a septic tank.
I did not know this... I bleach all towels, white clothes, sheets etc... Clean toilets, sinks with bleach, and use antibac. soaps and dishdetergents.

I 'll have to stop. I just thought bleach would be only way to keep cd sanitary.

I have lots to learn...Thanks Everyone

·
Registered
961 Posts
1. I have lots (maybe 2 dozen or more) of "old fashioned" cloth diapers I used for burp rags with dd#1 Could these be used in pocket diapers.....or for anything else. Yeah, fold them up and stick them inside pocket diapers as soakers!

2. Are these the same as prefolds??? Some of the ones i have are thick in the middle??? If they are double thick in the middle then they are prefolds. However, if they are the Gerber brand (you can buy them at most baby stores), then skip it and buy yourself some real cotton prefolds. They work SO much better.

3. I bleach anything I can, can I bleach cd? You can if you want, but it will break down the fibers after a while. Personally, I use oxiclean about once a month...helps keep the stains off.

4. I have a septic tank...Will the extra washloads cause problems? Not sure

5. With the covers that velcro or snap closed can I just lay a prefold (or 2) inside the cover and put on baby without bins or a snappi ? Absolutely...just fold it in thirds and lay it in the middle. However, you want a nice, snug fitting cover to do this, or else you might have leaks!

6. What can I use for wipes...can I just buy lots of washcloths??? I use all the baby washcloths that we don't use on my dd anymore.

7. How to you handle dirty dipes in public??? I have a wetbag (bag made of waterproof material) now, but I used to use a plastic bag.

8. Do you wash covers, prefolds ets all togeather or sort them? I wash everything but my wool together. Wool is a handwash only thing.

9. Do you change your cover every time you change baby??? Nope! I use mostly wool and unless it's really wet, I just use the same one....we can usually go 2-3 changes without changing a cover.

10. Is it cheaper to wash cd's after paying for increased water and elec bill, extra detergent etc? Absolutely! The increase you will find from the washing is minimal...most people it's MAYBE a few bucks a month. I bought my daughter's first 5 months of cloth diapers for $100....I was spending almost $60 a month for disposables before that.

Good Luck!
Meghann

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree with what been said already, and wanted to second what's been said about resale! My stash is mostly non-hyena, though I've picked up one or two things here and there that are. The nice thing is that there are different diapering systems and styles that work for different people, so whichever way you go, and no matter what you try out, there should always be somebody around who will be interested in buying if you just don't like it, or your child grows out of it.

I also did a lot of looking for second quality stuff from popular brands like Fuzzi Bunz--they were cheaper for me and sometimes the flaws were totally unnoticeable. When I had one or two petite toddler diapers that my son grew out of that were seconds, I was able to sell them for what I paid, and that's even with full disclosure about the fact that they were seconds! So the resale thing is a HUGE plus for DH and myself.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
To me, it depends what kind they are. Gerber diapers (that you find at Target, Fred Meyer, wherever) aren't near as absorbent as Chinese or Indian prefolds.

Prefolds do have extra absorbency in the middle. But there are different kinds of prefolds.

Just wondering, why do you bleach everything?
Bleaching cd's isn't the greatest idea, unless you want them to fall apart sooner (same with every other fabric - bleach eats away at it). Some folks do use bleach as a last resort when they have really stinky diapers and nothing else works, but I've never had to use bleach for diapers in 20 months.

No, but bleach will cause big problems if regularly used. Unless you're running two washing machines 24 hours a day in addition to regular household stuff on a single-family septic tank, you'll be fine with the extra load of laundry ever other day.

5. With the covers that velcro or snap closed can I just lay a prefold (or 2) inside the cover and put on baby without bins or a snappi?
With the velcro ones, yes. With snap ones, if they're front snap, probably; side snap, no.

Yup.

Wet bags. I have some from Happy Tushies that I really like.

No sorting. They all go in there together. Some people seperate the pee and poop diapers to just pre-wash/soak the poop ones, but I don't. I'm lazy.

Not always. If ds just peed and the cover's just barely damp, I'll put it back on him. If the cover is damp, I'll let it dry out and use it again. I'll wash them when they get poop on them or I just think it's time.

For us, oh yes. I don't even think we noticed a difference in our utilities when we started using cloth. The few months we did use disposables (5mo) I wash washing baby clothes, blankets, etc. every day or every other day. When we switched to cloth I was washing diapers every other day and baby clothes one a week to 10 days. I don't monitor our detergent usage though... I go through a box (maybe 3/4 gallon sized) every 2 months or so. I have *never* used the full scoop of detergent for as long as I've done my own laundry and my clothes get just as clean.

You can still clean everything and make it sanitary without bleach. There are some great natural cleansers out there and baking soda and vinegar do a great job with a bunch of stuff. But then again, we're not a germ-phobic house and I can count on one hand how many times I've used bleach. If ds wants to eat dirt, he's more than welcome (although he spits it out once he realizes it's not tasty).

I don't know about you, but once upon a time I leaked all the time on my underwear when I had my period, and would just wash it with everything else because I trusted my washing machine to get everything clean. Same with when ds would poop/spit up on everything, I trusted the washing machine (well, and the detergent) to do it's job.

Snappi's - ds hasn't had a problem with them. When he got bigger and the snappis weren't stretching enough with him he didn't like them digging into his hips. But I solved that by folding more fabric on his hips to cushion him more. We also add doublers so ds also has extra cushion down there where the bottom legs is as well.

Lanna

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
MOM2ANSLEY...

Thank you for this thread...I, too am a newbie to cloth and am full of many of the same questions. I feel better now. I am currently knitiing wool soakers and longies so i won't have to buy too many covers, but I am also using some MotherEase cloth snap-on dipes until my prefolds get here...got my prefolds from Allyrae's shop. I'm looking forward to using them, too. From what I've heard, cd'ing is easy to keep pretty clean and sanitary without the use of bleach(I don't and can't use it for skin/med reasons) I will lay my dipes out in the sun (when I can) or use lemon/vinegar or baking soda on them.

Good luck and let me know how it goes for you

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I just wanted to add:

Bleach isn't a very good idea for cd because not only does it break down the fibers, but it could also lead to diaper rash!!!

Also, only use 1-2 tablespoons of detergent, and no softeners. Too much can also lead to diaper rash
HTH

·
Registered
483 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MOM2ANSLEY
Yes. I do, but very sparingly. So far I have only done it twice - and that was b/c I bought some used dipes/inserts and they tainted everything (the microfiber inserts were way too smelly). Remind yourself you do not need to worry about stains. These ARE diapers. Just worry about disinfecting when you need to. (We have very little staining, BTW, and it is only on the microfiber inserts. Unbleached prefolds will hide stains better than white ones.) Bleach does break down fibers, but if you only use it once in a while, you will likely be able to use your diapers on multiple children. Make sure you are not using too much. Sometimes you need bleach. Do NOT use bleach on wool, though. Bleach dissolves wool.

Quote:

Washcloths are my favorite - they clean really well. I have 2 dozen. I wash every 3-4 days and I have enough.

Quote:

Do you mean cheaper than having a diaper service wash your dirties? In our area, diaper services charge as much - or more than - disposables cost per month, and you would still have to buy covers. The water, electric, and detergent will not come close to that. Keep your washing system simple (i.e. start with only detergent) and then add some of the other things (like vinegar, soda, etc.) later if you think you need to or want to try them. It is easier to add things than to try to figure out what you need to take away from a complicated routine if you have a reaction. You do have to use enough detergent to get things clean - especially since that can help decrease the amount of bleaching you will need to do. I use 1/4 cup of Tide for my loads, but it depends on things like the size of your washer, the type of washer you have, your water type, etc. 1/4 cup (4 tablespoonsful) is about half the recommended amount on the box for that size load. I usually do a wash on cold and then a wash on hot since I have not been rinsing the diapers before going into the pail (except the poopy ones - they do get rinsed).

If you mean will the washing be cheaper than buying disposables - then yes! We estimated we are saving $70 to $75 per month with CD (not counting the initial start-up cost). We used disposables on our first two but were able to switch for our third. I wish we had CD'ed all 3, but that is another story... Anyway, we spent approx $55 on diapers, $10 on wipes (which I detest after using washcloths!!), $10 or so on bags for the disposable diaper pail "hot dog system", and $7/month saved by using a smaller garbage can. Oh, the plastic we left for the earth to digest. I do not know that exact impact on our water/electric bill, but our daily usage actually went down from the previous years' use on the bill statements, so it would be a very small impact.

Also, the first few months we spent a LOT of money and I started to wonder if we would ever save any money vs. disposables. Then we did not buy anything for a long, long time. And that was only b/c I had the urge to start making new diapers. The ones I made at 4-6 months old still fit my 21 month DS and I think I could make them work to potty training if I wanted. So you pay a lot up front, but save monthly thereafter.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Everyone has done a great job answering you question I just wanted to add that I think the best thing to do would be to surf the links to see what you have, and then buy used. Buy a little bit (one or two) of every thing, try them out and resell what you don't like. Most of the time you end up only paying the shipping.

For example, FB don't fit my DD right, so I am buying 1 HH, 1 snapeez, 1 wonderroo, and 1 of each of two other pockets I can't remember! We'll try 'em all on and go with the one that fits the best!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.