Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I want to co-sleep with DC when he/she arrives bit I have a few limitations to deal with. First of all, we only have a queen size bed and there's really not room to safely co-sleep in the bed. Plus both DH and I have had broken backs so we tend to move around at night. Also, we don't have a great deal of space in our bdrm.

I'm thinking of a few possibilities, if there are others, *please* share! I was thinking of getting a co-sleeper and adding a latex mattress that's made for it. I don't want DC sleeping on the plastic and it feels like a rock! The thing is, I don't want to spend all the money and only be able to use it for a few months. So do you think that I could continue to use it fior full time sleeping after DC outgrows the co-sleeping part in the playard position (bearing in mind I will have the better mattress). I know that it's rated up to 50lbs. If this is possible, how long (roughly) could it be done? I realize I'll still have to invest in a toddler bed or perhaps even a twin depending on how long I can use it but it would also give me travel/playard functionality.

Second idea, get a crib right off and lower or remove one side and use it as a co-sleeper, then as a regular crib later on. Advantage: don't have to buy additional crib etc. and can (depending on style) be used through toddler years. Disadvantage: takes up more space, still need a solution for travel etc.

This is really all speculation at this point because I've never co-slept before and I'm just "imagining" how this would work. I'd *love* your suggestions and advice. Please let me know what you think!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
794 Posts
i think sidecarring a crib is a great solution. something else that may work is simply getting a twin mattress right next to your queen.

we started out with a bassinet for ds and then he was in bed with us due to a combination of (1) hating the crib and (2) nursing every hour. although we had a king, i could see if we had a queen and a twin that dh would end up on the twin and ds and i on the queen.

as dh's snoring got worse he went to another room entirely. that works really well for us. i have also at times had our mattress (and sometimes box spring) on the floor with a crib mattress on the floor as well. this worked well as he became more mobil.

traveling has never been an issue. we have traveled a lot with ds and i have never taken a playpen (don't own one) or any other type of bed for him. in hotels, etc dh would take one bed and ds and i the other. you could also make a nest of sorts on the floor and once dc is asleep move up into the bed with dh.

congratulations on your upcoming arrival!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Side cars are awesome! I love the extra room it gives us!
We have a queen bed that we've co-slept on for 19 months now. We started out with a crib sidecar, but honestly, I felt like it took up too much room and dd didn't like it because she felt trapped in it, even with one side removed. We have a toddler bed "sidecar" now and she *loves* it. Even though the crib and the toddler bed take up the same amount of floor space, the toddler bed seems like it gives us sooo much more room. If you get one with a full, instead of a partial, side on it, I don't see why you couldn't use it for a newborn or infant, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2owen1
traveling has never been an issue. we have traveled a lot with ds and i have never taken a playpen (don't own one) or any other type of bed for him. in hotels, etc dh would take one bed and ds and i the other. you could also make a nest of sorts on the floor and once dc is asleep move up into the bed with dh.
we do this also, works great!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Can you borrow a paknplay/crib/bassinet from someone? Especially the bassinet ~ it is used for such a short period of time. This might let you get "aquanted" and figure out what will work for you.

Many cribs can convert to toddler/twin/full bed frames nowadays ~ but they can be pricey. We borrowed the crib & used it as a sidecar. Then the mattress fit the toddler beds.

p.s. We buy most of our stuff ~ especially stuff we're not sure we will really use from resale shops. Then we sell it back when we're finished. It saves us a FORTUNE!!!! Big name resale shops like "Children's Orchard" and "Once Upon a Child" automatically screen for items that have been recalled.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.