Mothering Forum banner

Want to make recycled wool soakers...

737 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  timneh_mom
I got some sweaters from the Salvation Army today, 2 for 99 cents!! Two of them are Merino wool, they are so soft, they feel like silk! I am excited to start making them, but they are a very fine gauge, lightweight knit. Will this still work with the conventional recycled sweater soaker patterns? Should I try to felt one of them and see what happens? Or just leave it alone? If it will still work left alone, they would make great soakers for summer. I can get one pair of longies and probably two soakers out of each sweater. They are so soft, I want to maximize my use of them!

Thanks in advance!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
I have just felted a similar sounding sweater,I decided rather than get two from it,as it was thin ,I would do a double layer wrap with it.

Used a nappy pattern and made it bigger on the rise and round the legs.
I applied elastic to the back and the legs on one layer then serged it all the way around the edges.

I figured two layers now it is serged feels a lovely combination,but lots of the woolen wraps would be too thick with two layers!

I think re cycled wool is a bit of a "suck it and see" thing really.
How about pressing them against a water soaked nappy to see if the water comes through?

I've felted two thin merino jumpers for covers - one didn't felt, so I made a double thick wrap and it works brilliantly - the other one felted very thick, so I'll use it single layered, I think.
Quote:

Originally Posted by wannabe
How about pressing them against a water soaked nappy to see if the water comes through?

I've felted two thin merino jumpers for covers - one didn't felt, so I made a double thick wrap and it works brilliantly - the other one felted very thick, so I'll use it single layered, I think.
Ooh, good idea! They are not lanolized yet though, so I figure I'd get water coming through until I did that at least. I was going to wait to lanolize until I'm done sewing them so I don't gunk up my machine.
I have made two soakers, one regular and one longies... I posted links to pictures in the show and tell section
I did not felt the first one, but I felted the second one so I'll see how those come out when I get a chance to sew them!
See less See more
I would not felt them if I were you. I have several pair of wool soaker shorts I have made from unfelted Cashmere and Merino wool and they work great. I have not even lanolized them. They are really thin and super soft, but as long as I have a decent cotton pocket under them they don't get damp at all, even hours later. I think unfelted wool is cooler for summer. And everytime I felt a sweater it gets too thick and stiff!
Hey, it's you! Remember me? The one with the perpetual fuzzy bunz stink? LOL

I really mildly felted the second merino sweater, it's not that thick, it was thin to begin with... but, the next time I go looking for used sweaters, I'll be able to compare one with the other anyway!

It's good to see you posting!
See less See more
My soakers turned out great!! Even the really lightweight wool kept a totally drenched diaper from soaking his clothes! (He had HUGE pees this morning!) I am always so amazed when wool does what it is supposed to do, it's so cool!!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.