Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds just turned two and is showing signs of being ready to potty learn. However he does not wnat to sit on the toilet. I'm not sure how to handle this one. I don't want to force him to sit on it but I don't know how else to do it?

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Bump.<br><br>
We're in the same boat. I'm taking this as a sign she's not <i>really</i> ready.... Our situation is that DD seems almost scared of sitting on the potty or even on her potty chair.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
i say wait. Maybe encourage them to sit on the potty with dipes/clothes on and read books, have fun time in the bathroom? My sister hated the potty and waited until we went on a camping trip and rented a giant RV - the potty there was fun. So she learned in a weekend...<br><br>
my dd on the other hand is at the other extreme. hates diapers, doesn't totally recognize when she's wet/poopy and yet every darn time mom's in the bathroom she's like "potty, potty, potty" taking off her dipes and pants.<br>
On a positive note, she did poop once in the potty while i was on the phone in the other room. and she ran out, clapping for herself and smiling.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I wonder if he wants to pee satnding up? My son refused to sit but will go standing up! Luckily he's tall and although is a little weird for him to position his penis inside the toilet, he can do it. I think is because he's watched his Dad peeing and wants to do it like him. We are also trying and are no experts yet. Good luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
We went through this too for a day or two. He started out doing really well using his potty chair... then he didn't want to, so I put the minimizer on the toilet, and he liked that.<br><br>
Also, have you tried just putting the pot thing on the ground-- minus the seat, and letting him squat over it. Ds likes that too. My potty chair even has a lid (it is also a stepstool) and I literally let him stand in it and pee. Not quite as clean, but at least it is getting used to the idea of peeing outside a diaper again.<br><br>
Now we are back to being on the toilet with the seat minimizer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts