Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So our local NICU is serviced by one IBCLC. She sucks to put it lightly! SHe told me I wouldn't BF exclusively, that it would be very painful, and tried to force me to supplement on day 3 and 4 and 5. SHe also threatened to call CPS and take my baby out of my arms (kidnapping even if CPS has been called) if I tried to leave the hospital BF exclusively that day (even though he gained 3 oz. the day before and they were making him horribly nipple confused). She is now doing the same thing to a mom of 30 wk. premie twins who is trying to BF and being told she never will. SHe's already convinced a friend of mine over the summer that she would never be able to nurse her premie. SHe's evil!!! Any ideas on how to stop this woman?

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Can you report her to the hospital? Is there a licensing board for IBCLC's? Can you contact them?

those poor babies! To be done such a disservice by this woman!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wrote the hospital a 5 pg. letter and spoke to the director of the Women's Pavillion apparently to no avail. I'm i9n the process of a fromal complaint to the IBCLE, but their process doesn't seem to apply. I was thinking about flooding her with mail from moms around the country....SHe is doing a disservice...She works inthe unit that often BUYS BM because preemies need it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Why would this woman even want to work in that position, if her knowledge of breastfeeding is absolutely zilch? And she obviously doesn't have the passion that drives lactation consultants I have met.

It would be like me going to work for the front office of the hated Yankees.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Amazing.

Makes me wonder why I always worry about passing the exam. If someone that dense passed and is certified, wow.

I would file a complaint, that's all you can do. And warn moms of her too.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
it is easy to pass the exam. especially if you have a degree (any degree will do). you need almost no practical hours. we have two hospitals and 2 IBCLCs. 2 of them are good. 2 have experiance breastfeeding thier own children. 2 are horrible.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
When I contacted them about becoming certified they said it takes over 2000 hours of experience. That's a lot of hours. I only had about 1200.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you are an RN or similar, it takes very little to sit for the exam. The less formal, traditional education you have, the more hours you need. Unfortunately this opens up a lot of room for RN's with ulterior motives to become IBCLC and not actually care about breastfeeding. It leaves some deeply devoted, intelligent, breastfeeding passionate moms trying to accumulate hours.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfamilygal
When I contacted them about becoming certified they said it takes over 2000 hours of experience. That's a lot of hours. I only had about 1200.
Let's see, 5 years of breastfeeding my babies (one year tandem). Would that count as above and beyond the 2,000 hours of experience?

Seriously, I could take over that woman's job tomorrow and have the whole ward breastfeeding by dinnertime. She should be immediately terminated.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
right, with no degree you need a zillion hours, but they are very generous with LLL leaders. I can't remember how many hours we were credited with but it was far more than I put in. But once you have a degree, especially a nursing degree, you need almost no hours. If the nurse has worked in labor and delivery it is likely they will need no more practical hours. and from what I understand the test is fairly easy. (but then when I took my drivers test I got a perefct score on my written but couldn't drive to save my lief.)

So report them to the head of the hospital. if you need to find people who have had trouble with this before to complain with you check with LLL.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
How sad...I'm a CNA...I think my 9 month old could go in and pass the CNA certification test. It was that easy, kind of scary actually.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilyka
it is easy to pass the exam. especially if you have a degree (any degree will do). you need almost no practical hours. we have two hospitals and 2 IBCLCs. 2 of them are good. 2 have experiance breastfeeding thier own children. 2 are horrible.
Almost no practical hours? I needed like 2400. I'm a BS and RN. Took me years to get the 2400 hours, but I have that now no problem, then enough CERPs which expire every 3 years so I went in circles for years trying to have enough (45) that were current all at the same time. Everyone I know who has sat for the exam keeps telling me how hard the actual exam is...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.