Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got NT last week! Yey!

I made cream cheese and whey for the first step. Then mayonnaise… now I want to make kefir!!!

Does anyone have kefir grain around my area? (I think its too hot to send nowadays)

We are located near Auburn, CA

·
Registered
796 Posts
Well, I'm not anywhere close to you, but you can try Dom's Kefir site. He sells kefir grains and therefore probably knows how to ship them. He also has a yahoo group to discuss all things kefir! Have fun! I love making kefir!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyone? i went to the yahoo site, still haven't find the culture yet...

my DP went to get me a powder, but i want the living mushroom!

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Hi! I just wanted to say I live near Auburn and if I get my hands on some (hopfully soon) I will let you know...I am looking into ordering some. I am making kefir right now for the first time with the powder I got from Sunrise Natural Foods.

I hope you get some grains!,
Jennifer

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Wish I had some for you ladies. It would probably only take a day to get to you. I gave too many away in the spring and I'm working on rebuilding the stash.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thnx Jennifer,

just out of curiosity, how much does it cost to order the grains?

i found someone(not from MDC) who charge $20 including shipping. i thought its pretty steep, isn't it?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
That *is* pretty steep. The folks on MDC usually charge $5 to cover shipping. Unfortunately, I have a waitlist of friends for my grains. I got my first set of grains off of eBay and I think I only paid $12 after shipping.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
I recently split mine, packaged half of them to freeze... got distracted, and they got shuffled to the back of a crowded counter and forgotten for a few days
Thus, my spares met an early demise. But, my working batch has been growing really quickly for me. If you don't get any within a couple of weeks, remind me and I'll send you some

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you for your posts.
fortunately, someone came across wuth the grains

now i have water kefir and milk kefir grains. yeeeeeyyy!!!!!
i would like to find any good water kefir recipe. i know its somewhere in this area. but can someone has quick link to it?
thank you so much!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mama2G
thnx Jennifer,

just out of curiosity, how much does it cost to order the grains?

i found someone(not from MDC) who charge $20 including shipping. i thought its pretty steep, isn't it?
Off of Dom's site, it's $38 or $65. Too rich for my blood, at this point in time, anyway. (US$ anyway

If someone had some they wanted to sell for less than that, I'd be interested as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts