Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm only 7 weeks pg so I've got some time but this is my third baby (and will be my last) and I really want to use cloth. I wanted to with #2 but dh was absolutely against it. This time he told me he is open to look into it. He wants me to write up a 1 page explanatory after I do research, he is such a geek. Anyway I've been searching around the web and its all so confusing. I would really like to buy a little over the months while I'm pregnant so that its not such a huge one time investment but I wonder if I can do that. How do you know what to buy before you have your baby? It seems that this type will fit skinny babies better and this type will fit chunkier babies better etc and if I buy the wrong kind for my baby then what.

So here are so questions for the experts.

What are the standard dips you absolutely have to have?

How many newborn diapers did you buy and what kind? How long did they last with your babe.

Do you use a combination of prefolds, fitted and aio?

If so what do you use most of and how much of each do you have?

What are pocket diapers?

What is the best way for a novice to start? Should I plan on having some cloth to start but also have some disposibles?

Would you buy throughout your pregnancy or would you wait until baby is born?

If you work out of the home what do you use for daycare. I work 3 days a week and have wonderful daycare but I'm certian she has never had clothed diapered babies and I'm not sure how open to it she will be.

Anything else you would tell someone new to this?

Thanks, Micky

·
Registered
501 Posts
Congrats on the baby and on wanting to cloth diaper.
It is tuff to know what you will like with your first, but that happens when it isn't your first too :LOL
I have 2 and am 5 weeks pregnant with our 3d and my stash has changed with each baby!
This is what I would suggest:
*I think most moms have dad diapers in the stash, AIO 's with velcro

*Pre folds with a snappi, great for extending use of others even if you don't use them as your main diaper. They also make great extra liners for night and trips and can be layed in a cover .
*Some fiteds , try a few kinds to see what you like
*Some covers or soakers ( I love wool)
If you do wool, try one of a few types, knitted soaks or Longies, woven or sewn knit pants ..
*I would also recommend a few wool liners for night use and if baby gets diaper rash( it wicks the moisture away from the skin and breaths)

I have 3 dozen diapers in my stash at all times and find this a good number so I don't have to wash too much.
I have lots of wool pants and about 5 wool covers.

Remember if you end up not likeing some types you can just sell them on the trading post and get what does work for you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I didn't really give my hubby an option, I just did it. After a bit of coaching, he is a pro now
And it's very cute to hear him tell his buddies how "cool" it is lol~!

What are the standard dips you absolutely have to have? Well, there are so many options, but I think to start out, the easiest is AIO(All in ones) they are the most like disp. diapers. Once soiled, just toss in a wetbag or pail until you wash. Pocket diapers are another easy one, just stuff them with what you want. Many use prefolds and covers as a cheaper method, but I found that more of a hassle personally.

How many newborn diapers did you buy and what kind? How long did they last with your babe. I only bought size smalls since my first son was 9 lbs 8 oz. I bought I think 10 diapers to start out, I had to wash every night. Most of my stash was www.sugarpiebaby.com, www.fuzzibunz.com and Snapping Turtle Pocket diapers which are no longer open at this time.

Do you use a combination of prefolds, fitted and aio? I use mostly AIO's and Pocket diapers.

If so what do you use most of and how much of each do you have? My stash is huge now but still consists mostly of AIO's and pockets, although I do have some wool.

What are pocket diapers?They are like an AIO diaper, but have an opening in the back that you stuff prefolds or other inserts in.

What is the best way for a novice to start? Should I plan on having some cloth to start but also have some disposibles? I don't think you will need the disp if you really want this to work
I would suggest starting out with atleast a dozen diapers.

Would you buy throughout your pregnancy or would you wait until baby is born? I bought a bunch before the baby was born and luckily for us, it worked

If you work out of the home what do you use for daycare. I work 3 days a week and have wonderful daycare but I'm certian she has never had clothed diapered babies and I'm not sure how open to it she will be. N/A

Anything else you would tell someone new to this? Be positive..be patient.. you too will become an addict. I would recommend if you do the AIO route, plan on using the solid pul for nighttime as some of the woven prints tend to wick overnight.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I would start out with infant pfs and sm covers (we like Bummi SWW best). My 8 lb baby could wear smalls at 1 1/2 wks old. They were a bit bulky but didn't leak which allowed us to skip nb sizes. Along with some fleece liners and a couple of snappis, that's all I would buy until your baby arrives and you can get started. It's very easy to add bit by bit as you learn what you like and are interested in trying. We use FB for overnight and they work great, but you really don't need to get a different nighttime system until the baby is sleeping through the night.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
I started with number three too!
Never never too late!

Don't forget to tell people you want diapers for gifts.
I should have done that! Especially with three people are often at a loss on what to buy you.

Cloth diapers, covers and wipes.

If we have another, people you know might also have some to give you.

Ask questions no question too stupid.
And its not that hard....and dh will fall in line, I didn't give mine a choice...well okay I lied to him (I didn't know it was at the time) and said it would be CHEAPER - lol ....well its a lie now

I've heard that pocket dipes are favored by hubbies and novices for using.
The fuzzibunz its practically like a disposable on how they work.
You can prestuff and give a bag to take the dipes home at night.

Alison

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Well, I've only been a mom for three weeks, but I'll take a stab at a few of your questions.

We're using FuzziBunz exclusively. We bought two dozen of the newborn (X-Small) size, but they only fit for about a week, so I honestly wouldn't recommend them unless you have reason to suspect that your baby will be smaller than average. (My family tends to have small babies, but DD was a week late and 7lbs 7oz at birth.)

We're now using size small, and probably could have started using them right away had we tried them first instead of the X-Smalls. I have 27 diapers in rotation, and three living in the diaper bag (as yet unused). I'm doing at least one load each day, but I've not come close to running out. And dd HATES to be wet, despite the stay-dry layer of fleece, so we're changing each and every time she pees. I'd say two dozen diapers should be enough to hold you easily if you're willing to do laundry every 1.5-2 days. Then again, dd could be an odd baby. See if others agree.

FuzziBunz are a pocket diaper. Pockets are much like AIOs, in that they look and act much like a disposable diaper. They're not very intimidating for novice users, which was important for DH. Most have a fleece lining, sewn to a shell of PUL or other waterproof fabric. They fasten with plastic snaps or hook and eye (velcro type) material, depending on the brand. Pockets allow you to choose the amount and type of absorbent material in the diaper. Microfiber inserts, hemp inserts, prefolds, flats, even hand towels can be stuffed between the fleece and PUL layers. We've been using the microfiber inserts and have been happy with them. The greatest advantage I see to Pockets over AIOs is that the pockets dry much faster, simply because the layers come apart. I put the inserts in the dryer, but hang the shells to dry and they rarely take more than three hours to drip dry in my basement. I also tend to suspect that it's easier to get them really clean (due to the seperate layers) but I have no evidence of this - it's just a feeling.

As for daycare, we have made arrangements with the provider we intend to use. They've agreed to use the FuzziBunz, as long as we provide our own diaper pail, to be emptied each day when we collect DD. I found that the providers we interviewed were reluctant when we mentioned cloth, but were quite open once we showed them an actual pocket diaper. It's really no extra work for them, as they don't have to learn to fold or pin or snappi, and we're still doing the laundry! :LOL I'd recommend pockets or AIOs for daycare/babysitters, even if you use something else for home. Even my sister, a woman who purchases the premixed bottles of formula for her son so that she doesn't have to mix, store, or clean anything, was willing to use pocket diapers on DD.

Only other piece of advice - get cloth wipes! They are soooo wonderful. We rarely need more than one, even when the diaper is full of goopy bf newborn poop. We're using the wonder wipes from MOE, but I'm sure there are lots of great WAHM wipes out there. We have 30 in rotation with six more stowed in the diaper bag and that's been plenty to keep up with our diapers.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
What are the standard dips you absolutely have to have? Hmmm...I think you should have a few AIOs (like Bum-Ware or Very Baby) they are so easy and great for the diaper bag.

How many newborn diapers did you buy and what kind? How long did they last with your babe. For DS1 I used prefolds and proraps (I Had 3 doz. infant prefolds and 6 nb covers) I have big babies so my first was 8lbs and was over 11pounds by 1 month so he was then out of nb stuff...my 2nd was 9lbs10oz and was over 14 pounds by 1 month so he was out of nb dipes by 2 weeks. Every baby is different, though...

Do you use a combination of prefolds, fitted and aio? Yes...right now our stash for both boys (28 months and 6 months) include prefolds (now just for emergencies), fitteds and wool covers, AIOs and pockets

If so what do you use most of and how much of each do you have? I'm starting to use mostly pockets and AIOs for my toddler...but have a good mixture of fitteds & wool/pockets for my baby

What are pocket diapers? They are a lot like AIOs. They are a PUL cover that has a piece of fleece sewn to the inside to create a pocket where you stuff a prefold or insert in it. If you stuff them right after you wash and dry them then they work like an AIO...you just put them in the diaper bag and use them when needed. The fleece is used to wick moisture away from the baby's skin.

What is the best way for a novice to start? Should I plan on having some cloth to start but also have some disposibles? Buy a sample package or just buy a few diapers and when you get them you may decide what you like best...

Would you buy throughout your pregnancy or would you wait until baby is born? Through pregnancy

If you work out of the home what do you use for daycare. I work 3 days a week and have wonderful daycare but I'm certian she has never had clothed diapered babies and I'm not sure how open to it she will be. I WAH but when I leave them with a babysitter I use AIOs or pockets...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wonderful information. Thanks.

As for Dh I'm sure I'll get him to turn around, I may have already. He has become such an advocate for all the other parenting styles we have adapted so far I'm sure this will just be one more

Of course I have a few more questions now

Wool covers? How do you wash these? What is the benefit to wool? Does it take for ever to dry. It seems that people that love wool LOVE wool? Why?

I'm thinking I'm going to go with a bunch of prefolds with snappis with covers but I will probably also get a stash of pocket diapers. And probably some aoi but not a ton of those. So with the pocket dipers do you just use the prefolds as liners? Or do you recommend getting another type of liner? Multiple types for different situations? What is the benefit of each type? How many liners do you need?

Thanks again for all your information. I'm getting excited already and I have so long to wait. I know if I start buying throughout the pg I will be very anxious to start and will be able to make it work. I bought my sling while pg with #2 and used to play around with it all the time before he was born. By the time he was born I couldn't wait to get him in it and it just worked great. I'm sure the dips will be the same.

Oh and a double thanks to whomever it was that suggested asking for dips as gifts (sorry I can't remember who). We really don't need anything new for this baby and I really don't want anymore bulky baby stuff that I use for a week and then it just sits there, KWIM. Dips are a great suggestions. Of course my family will think I'm crazy but who cares.

Micky

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I am due the same time as you! Congrats! I didnt give my hubby a choice either, when I started cloth diapering back 6 years ago, he was working out of town for 6 weeks, I was bored, spent alot of time on the interenet and some how stumbled across cloth diapering and I started! out of pure boredom! LOL Now I am hooked!

My advice would be to shop around, try 1 or 2 of a bunch of different things, then you can see what fits your baby best. Definietly get some prefolds, those are cheap, and work good, and even if you dont llike them all that much if you get some nice fitteds, you still have them for back up or burp cloths.

Here is a great site that will answer pretty much all of your cloth diaper questions! http://diaperpages.com

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Hi and congrats on your baby! I started with #2, my dh grumbled a little in the beginning, but then he became an expert, lol, he just doen't wash them, which is fine with me

Wool covers? How do you wash these? What is the benefit to wool? Does it take for ever to dry. It seems that people that love wool LOVE wool? Why?

aaaahhhh, wool! We love wool! For the most part, you hand wash wool after a few uses or when soiled. I would rotate my wool covers and other covers and just wash mine like once a month. It is simple, but may seem like 'too much' if you haven't done it yet, but don't worry it is easy! There are lots of liquid wool wash or bars out there, commercial and wahm made. And you need to lanolize them, but some wool wash have this in them. Wool is a natural fiber, which is why alot of people like wool. It absorbs 30% of its weight, so baby clothes won't get wet and baby will still feel dry, and this is why they take so long to dry. It is naturally antibacterial, so wool covers won't stink(at least, not easily :LOL ) It breathes too and let air circulate. You can make wool soakers from an old wool sweater. And then there are lots of talented wahm's here knitting soakers by the dozen with gorgeous embroidery and embellishments.
Some babies are allergic to PUL or fleece, so using natural fibers is usually best.

pocket diapers.....they are 'usually' lined with fleece next to babies skin and the pul or another layer of fleece on the outside. In between(the pocket) is where you stuff your prefold. I found prefolds bulky and I had a heavy pee-er so I used hemparoos, a contoured shaped soaker pad of 3 or 4 layers, I would stuff 2 or 3 of these in my pockets. I only used a 'liner' what I would call a doubler on top of the diaper for night time use. I only use my pocket diapers one at a time, most covers you can reuse with several fitted diapers during the day, but to me, pockets are a one time use only dipe.
So I would use one prefold or two hemparoos per pocket, three for nighttime. You can also stuff pockets with flats or other contoured stuffers. I know lots of moms who have used hand towels in a pinch! lol

I ended up with way too many diapers, but I only need to wash them twice a week, and I am very comfortable with this

When you try new diapers you can check the trading post so you can get a deal, if you don't mind used diapers.
Also, you will want a container to keep you diapers in until wash day, some use a small garbage bin, I use a wahm made large bag, lined with pul and it has a handle on it, that I hang in the bathroom, but I only bought this after I 'got in to' cloth diapering and new I was commited.
they sell smaller ones for your diaper bag, that hold 2-4 soiled dipes.
And then you might want a cloth changing pad(not neccessary, but cute for outings)

this forum is the best to ask questions.
You might want to ask different questions as a new topic too :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.