Mothering Forum banner

Wanting to convert

545 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  vgnmama2keller 
#1 ·
A few years ago I tried going vegan for a few months. It was not hard for me. I did find that I had to spend more on groceries and such. Also, I went back to eating non vegan b/c I was not getting the nutrients I needed and I looked sick. I am interested in converting myself and raising my daughter vegan but I need to know where to start. I also want to make sure that we get the nutrients we need this time around. How do I go about that. It kind of makes me head spin when trying to read about everything. I need to keep it simple! Any suggestions? Also, I am bfing so I know that may factor in. My dd is 4 months old and is NOT eating solids, but when she does I need to know what her nutrition requirments are as well.

#3 ·
my best suggestion is to cook from scratch (makes label reading much easier), buy a wide variety of fruits, veggies, legumes, nuts and seeds and keep the foods you eat as familiar as possible for the most part (experiement yes, but the family will be happier if especially at first the food is familiar). The more widely varied your diet, the better your nutrition will be.

Some foods in particular that are really nutritionally packed are:

teff (african grain) ( http://www.teffco.com/ )
unhulled sesame seeds
lentils
turnip greens
mustard greens
berries
red palm oil
coconut oil (provides vital saturated fats and essential fatty acids)
almonds
avocadoes

we try to work those in when we can, as they help boost the overall nutrition. It is definitely doable and healthful when done right.

As for when it comes time to feed baby, I'd do the "baby led weaning" method (baby self feeding, feed those foods you are eating that are safe for them). We've done that will good success and it takes a lot of pressure off of you. Avocadoes are a wonderful first vegan food.

Good luck!

#5 ·
My go to book is...

Becoming Vegan

I think this is one of the best books for nutritional information regarding a vegan diet. The authors are both nutritionists and it is packed with info for every stage of a person's life.

Also check out Diet for a New America by Robbins. Not sure if you are going vegan just for health or also for helping to boycott the cruelty of animals but this book is great.

Good luck

Kari
www.veganparenting.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.