Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had postpartum depression since my 2nd baby was born about 4 months ago. It escalated to the point of crying my eyes out every day and wanting to kill myself or abandon my family. I have a 2 year old toddler and am finding life to be so overwhelming. My doctor recommended I see a therapist and she has helped. The thoughts of wanting to hurt myself and children mostly disappeared. I'm supposed to be taking omega and vit d but it pretty much never happens. I can barely feed myself a meal or brush my teeth, how in the f*** am I supposed to do extra things? Exercise was also prescribed, even a 10 minute walk but when you live somewhere it's -20 and snow taking a stroller of littles out is not feasible. I thought I was feeling better for the month of December but have fallen into the pit of despair and depression since January hit. I hate my life, hate the wife and mother I am, and just want to escape this unhappiness. Running away always sounds like good idea. I lack the motivation to-do the things that make me feel better.

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
There is a ton of stuff going on for you. A baby, a toddler, and a very cold and dark winter. Keep reminding yourself that it is going to get better. I know that the days are long right now, but the weeks will go by, and as the days get longer and warmer, it may really help the depression lift, and even though it is hard to see, your kids are growing up a little bit every day.

Things to do:

1. keep seeing therapist
2. consider meds
3. keep lots of lights on, especially on over cast days
4. put perky music on. I like to put on an upbeat radio station because the chatter helps me feel more connected.
5. Use your other resources -- your partner, any extended family that is near (or ask someone you are close to to come visit), and friends.

Vitamins are easy for me with a weekly pill box. I fill it on Sunday, and then take them when I'm cleaning the kitchen.

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
Make sure you have friends and family help you. Lean into your church or community center. Eat well. Get dressed and get out each day... no kidding. Just the going through the motions at first can make it seem like you are getting somewhere and soon you really will be. I like what Linda said, keep cheerful music on. Watch cheerful movies. Read uplifting and inspiring books.

Find help for the kids. Even a mommy's morning out will give you a little head space to get yourself put back together. Find a support group. Preferably one that meets in the evening so your partner can take charge of the kids while you go. Make a friend there and touch base with each other regularly.

Do get a check up. Do consider teas, herbal formulas or acupressure. If you do go for heavy meds, be careful. Most of the women in my family react badly to typical anti-depressants. Be sure someone is monitoring you if you go this route.

Good luck. You and your children deserve a good life. Do what is necessary to get that for you and for them. It's worth fighting for!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
There are special lights that simulate sunlight. They aren't too expensive. Just having it on will help, it's a very small thing to do.

Try not to focus on what you can't do. Forgive yourself. It's okay. You don't deserve to beat yourself up over every little thing. No one's perfect. You're doing the best you can and that's okay.

Focus on what you can do. Focus on the good things. Even the little victories. You typed this post! That's a step in the right direction, you're reaching out, that's so good! Give yourself a pat on the back, you deserve it!

Can your husband help make sure you're taking your vitamins/supplements (seriously- fish oil and vitamin D are huge helps)? Do you have any friends or family nearby who can help? Can your husband watch the kids for a few hours so you can go out to the mall or something for you?

For exercise, you can look into things you can do in the house. You can find yoga and exercise routines online for free or buy DVDs. You don't have to leave the house to exercise.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I use exercise and supplements to keep my depression at bay, but when in a deep depression I need meds as a stepping stone to get to the place where I can take care of myself properly to keep the depression at bay. Keep trying and keep reaching out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Exercise inside of your home. Try to improvise. It will help you balance your hormones. Also, try doing things that otherwise help you get your mind off things. Depression can be hell. It is important to recognize it and try to disallow your brain to work against you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.