Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I have had it, (see my post about calling the midwife) I am tired of these interventions "just in case". When I was at L&D last night I asked why I was given everything and what would happen if I didn't. I was given horror stories about having uterine rupture since I am vbac - so apparently I can have a rupture if I go into labor early or go late - my 3 1/2 year old c-section scar knows that 39-41 1/2 weeks is the only time it won't rupture?? I realize I can rupture at any time - so I felt like are you just pushing for another c-section?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Problem is I am scared to do a homebirth. I live 25 minutes from the closest hospital. And it's not a mother/baby/vbac friendly hospital. The doula and midwife assured me I could go to the one I registered at - which is 50 minutes away. I am so scared to do it, but I can't take the interventions anymore - I refused additional shots of turbutaline because I wasn't in labor, just having contractions I couldn't even feel then and I had no cervical change, and I got a lot of "guilt" from the midwife about how this was not a good idea. Even though the contractions stopped after the first shot!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And with my OB when I was 36 with my first, I got 2 ultrasounds, yet my vbac friendly midwives have ordered 4 so far, with 2 more coming. Because I am AMA! (I was AMA with my first!!) And everything has been fine since the 20 weeks one.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Has anyone switch late in the game? I have had no real complications - no GD, no pre-term Labor, no clotting, no genetic issues, nothing. Anyone been fearful and gotten over it? I have no clue about homebirth - I ruled it out quickly because my husband was so worried about it.</p>

·
Registered
383 Posts
<p>:hugs I hate that you have been pushed around. It will only be worse while you are in actual labor so reconsidering now is a smart decision. What are you scared of? What is your husband scared of? I would make a list. Then I would read like crazy and inform yourself about homebirth and why it IS safe. Our culture equates birth with a huge emergency when in reality it's completely normal. I would read Childbirth Without Fear by Grantly Dick-Reed, The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer (has great statistics) and Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. Stay away from any and all horror stories. Positive thinking will do wonders. As a midwife's assistant I've seen quite a few AMA moms and quite a few who have transfered to her care late in the game. If you are healthy and want a normal birth- make the switch. Go ahead and interview a few HB midwives. Tell them your concerns. I bet you'll find one that understands you and your husband and makes you feel safe and confident. You can do it!! Keep us posted!</p>

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
<p>hugs mommy</p>
<p> </p>
<p>first of all i would take some time and find a home birth midwife to chat with, share your experience and concerns with her and see if she can help you focus on the best way to move forward.</p>
<p>i would also like the previous poster mentioned, sit down with your DH and both write down things that you are feeling and wonder or worry about. we did that and it helped us get to the home birth we are planning now.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>i live in the DC area so i can chat with you about my search and discovery of a HB midwife if you would like. i just settled out a change in midwife and I'm 32 weeks with twins so it was a big deal for me.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>bottom line all that you are going thru is real, your concerns and your fears, so please listen to them and be kind to yourself and allowing yourself to have them and to work thru them. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>i really believe that brushing concerns or fears off is not a good way to get past them. learning what they are and why you have them is.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts