Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I have an 8 month old. We have been using the babyhawk mei tei in the front carry, in which he faces me. I find it comfortable and safe feeling for us.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think he is ready for back carry sometimes too- or front carry facing out- something in which he can look forward.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I tried the mei tei in the back carry a couple of times but have not gotten it too comfortable for me or the baby yet. so any advice on carrying on the back in this carrier?</p>
<p>Also- what are some other comfot=rtable back carried? We have an ergo but I never use it. Would this be different feeling than the mei tei on back?</p>
<p>any other suggestions on either back carry or also is there a front facing baby carrrier that is actually comfy for the baby and mom?</p>

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
<p>The ergo is awesome for back carries, but if it is uncomfortable, tighten the waistband and loosen the straps.  On the MT it's opposite.  I find that standing up after I have the body over the baby and before tying the shoulder straps helps me get a snug fit.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And I am probably in the minority here, but as they get bigger and heavier, I like them to sit in the curve of my back or almost on my butt rather than higher up.  Lower center of gravity, and helps your butt muscles do more of the work.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Back carrying is terrifying the first few times you do it, then it becomes second nature.  Watch lots of Youtube videos and practice over your bed, or have someone spot you!  It's awesome!</p>

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
<p>I like using a woven wrap for a back carry, it's easier for me to get it really tight compared to the mei tai.  But I'm just not that good with a mei tai.</p>
<p>This is a great video for the one I tend to use most often around the house.</p>
<p><a href="http://wrapababy.com/baby-wearing-wrapping-video-instructions/baby-wearing-wrapping-instructions/rucksack/982/" target="_blank">http://wrapababy.com/baby-wearing-wrapping-video-instructions/baby-wearing-wrapping-instructions/rucksack/982/</a></p>
<p>You can look at either the picture or video instructions.  Sometimes I like the still photos with instructions I can read slowly while trying it at the same time.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have a beco gemini and I still use it all the time for a front carry and love it.  I barely feel her weight, it is very supportive and she is about 23 pounds.  </p>
<p>  I think the Ergo would be similar, it just didn't work for me, so I got a gemini.  I have used the gemini for back carries and it is fine but I still like the wrap absolutely the best.  When she is in it it just feels like there is no way for her to get out! </p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts