Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
. . .and I do mean constantly.

We started off with Bf problems, so I am VERY GRATEFUL that she now nurses. However, now she can't stop! She naps very little (sleeps about 11 hours out of 24) and when she's awake, all she wants to do is nurse. She won't take a pacifier. She will sometimes fall asleep in a sling, but only if I'm walking outside (and even then it's only 4 hours out of the day that she's asleep). Once in awhile I can't dance with her in the sling and she'll fall asleep. I can't nurse in a sling-- I've tried and tried, watched videos, asked people for help IRL and can't (not hands free).

Today, I just let her cry while she fell asleep in the sling (she did sort of use a paci).
: I just couldn't keep nursing her-- I needed to do things with my other DD. I just cannot nurse for 13 hours a day but I feel bad letting her cry.

Oh, and her weight gain is fine. She is never inconsolable when she cries-- nursing always calms her down.

This has been going on for a few weeks, so I don't think it's a growth spurt (she's also caught up weight-wise with her initial slow start).

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
Well, my dd always marathon nursed when she was learning a new skill. It was exhausting! But every single time, after a long nursing binge (yeah...weeks GAH!) she would start something new.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi Elena,

I think constant nursing is pretty normal with infants, though I know it can be incredibly frustrating, especially when you have another little one. I could never nurse in the sling with no hands either, but I could do it with only one hand. I had a constant nurser, and I just worked really hard to keep everything I needed within arm's reach. Some times I got so frustrated and overwhelmed with the whole situation, especially when I went months without eating a meal while nursing. But it does get better. My babe is now nine months and he can go 5-6 hours without nursing.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Elena -

My baby was doing the same thing (slow weight gain at first too ) and though for one or two days now we've started going a little longer between feeds. We went through about 2 weeks of non-stop nursing, esp since I was dealing with supply issues. I literally would spend hours parked on the couch while she nursed, or napped while still sucking (not just comfort sucking because she would actually cause letdowns even while it seemed like she snoozed), and I got up only to feed the older two girls or for bathroom/diaper changes, grab a quick bite to eat myself and went potty myself. She would nonstop nurse unless I had used the SNS and had a bit of bm or formula in it. That would hold her a bit so that I could take care of the other girls (at least for 10-15 minutes).

I thought it was getting annoying, until she stopped doing it so much. Now I worry that she's not getting enough because she is actually content for a while between feeds the last 2 days. But I know that's not true because I think the milk supply is finally increasing for her (thanks to the extra pumping I'm doing and the the More Milk Plus I finally got seems to be helping).

How long has it been going on? Mine was going on like that for the last 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Take a deep breath and repeat "This too shall pass"! Seriously my ds nursed non-stop from 2 weeks until about 2 1/2 months! Actually it got a bit better as the weeks went on. Turns out he is just a BIG baby- he had one growth spurt on top of another (makes sense, dp is a very big guy). I thought something was wrong at first and it about drove me nuts not to be able to do anything it seemed like except nurse...but IT DID GET BETTER! You can make it over the hump! I found I just had to alter my life a lot during those 2 months- is there any way you can find ways to play with your other dd while you nurse?

It's hard being a "human pacifier" but you are exactly what your dd needs right now. Have you read "The Happiest Baby on the Block?" It helped us so much- got ds to calm down and nap more.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mine just wants to constantly nurse from about 6pm on till about 11. She empties my boobs and then gets vicious about it, wants more, pulls and grabs at them

I just try to keep her happy and let her stay on.

I know what you mean, very frustrating.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. Bruno (who is a month and a half old) wants nursing all the time (and he takes forever at it, too). I talked to our ped and he said it was fine, since us, as mothers, are feeders, love suppliers and pacifiers, just to name a few of our roles. He is gaining a lot of weight but doctor said i shouldn't worry about that either, since he will probably balance it out in time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts