Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ladies....i have 2 girls and both had used disposable diapers. we were always crispy, but now were going crunchy all the way! :LOL we want to live more simple-y and definetly more frugally. my oldest is now in regular panties, but my 1yr old still wear diapers and i would like to change from disposables
: to cd's. i just don't even know where to start or even what to look for. we're pretty much homebodies, but need something a little more convenient for errands and such....i think that flats might be to hard
but i'd like to maybe try. the pf's all look so adorable w/ their designs and such. how do you keep cloth diapers from leaking/soaking thru? i know some of these questions may be seem so simple but the only thing i know of cloth diapers is when i was 4 and my mom used them on my lil bro. i just remember flats and pins and it seems so difficult to me...just seeking some answers to make my transition easier

thanks in advance

·
Registered
285 Posts
i just started using cloth and my dd is 25 months old. so it's never too late! i'm still experimenting....during the day i am using all in ones and some contour and some prefolds with covers. like i said, experimenting
:
the key is that all of these allow her to feel the wetness. i don't want her to feel dry when she wets during the day. i'm hoping this will help with potty learning and i think this would have been good earlier on. anyway, at night i'm using fuzzibunz with a prefold and a doubler stuffed inside and that is working out well. i want her to feel dry at night cause i don't want her to wake up! and these do the trick.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
We just switched to cloth a couple of weeks ago. I'm not an experimenter -- I wanted to go with one system and just use that.

We settled on Fuzzi Bunz. These are not natural fibers, but synthetic fleece-lined diapers with PUL covers and and insert. I wanted a system that would keep my son dry (he has super sensitive skin) and get really clean, but I also wanted simplicity. I opted for pocket diapers over AIO's because of the cleanliness issue.

I have not had any problems with my Fuzzi Bunz. They come clean in the wash, work great, and they are very easy to use.

I hesitated many times before finally taking the plunge and switching to cloth. Now I can't believe that I used disposables for so long (my son just turned two).

The only issue that we had was some nasty toddler poop, easily solved with the addition of a Mini Shower. I highly recommend the Mini Shower, especially if you're switching a toddler.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Great decision! I bet you're going to love it.

I suggest going to...www.diaperpin.com for information. Then just start window shopping and deciding what appeals to you. From there, I would suggest trying a bit of this and a bit of that until you have found your "perfect" stash!

Have fun!

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I agree with the pp...try different diapers until you find the right one. I started off with all one type of diaper and then I switched when my oldest was 6 months and then I switched again at a year, etc.
The good thing is you can always sell off what wasn't right for your child. AIOs and Pockets are definately the most like disposables...I really like them, especially for a toddler, but fitteds and wool are nice too. I used to use prefolds but it became hard to get DS to stay still long enough to get that and a cover on.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
Chinese prefolds would be your best bet for the majority of your diaper stash - they're inexpensive, last a while, and work great.

To keep the diapers from soaking everything, you a) put enough absorbency in it to last as long as you need it to, b) put a cover over the diaper (covers are usually made of wool, PUL, or fleece) and c) change babe's diaper when it needs it. Cloth has a finite absorbing capacity.

You also don't need to use pins anymore, there's a great thing called a snappi that just rocks. I'm pin impaired so I
my snappis.

We've also got some AIO's (All-in-Ones) for our lazy days or for out and about the town.

Lanna

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks sooo much ladies!!
i've done some websurfing and it looks like the prefolds would be my best bet! so how many should i start with. carson weighs about 19lbs and is a year old. she really only goes thru 5-6 diapers a day. plus i'd like a few aio's for "going out on the town"
i've seen the snappies on a few websites and i've heard there's different ways of folding the diapers? im such a newbie!
and whats the word on the diaper showers? a must? i'd much prefer to spray it clean then to have to dunk and rinse
thanks go much gals...its been eye-opening to see how many options there are in cd'ing!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Well I can tell you this, I would expect for your daughter to go through more than 5 or 6 cloth diapers as they wet differently than sposies. My daughter is 8.5 months old and I would say that she goes through about a dozen diapers a day and that is with me changing her about every 45 minutes to an hour. She also wakes up from nap dry and we EC at that time, some times others through out the day depending. We use some fitteds, some prefolds, some pockets. My faves right now are fitteds and prefolds as it is HOT here right now adn I don't put a cover on her, just let her run the house adn change her as soon as she is wet.

I have 18 prefolds and 29 pockets, and and about 20 fitteds and I could go about 3 days total without washing and washing on the 4th day if I didn't need my night time diapers before then since I only have 2. Plus I dont' want to let them sit longer than a day or so. I was every other day but I have yet to go through my entire stash.

If I was going with only prefolds I would want at least 2 dozen if not 3 dozen and about 3 or 4 snappies!

Good luck, I have been cding for about 2 months and LOVE it!!!

Jessica

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Definitely try several different things. I have discovered in my nearly 6 months of cloth that I really like prefolds and wool but dont' really like aio's. I know that I hate sidesnap on my daughter. I don't really like aplix, I only like snaps. And I thought I truly loved pins but I really am liking the snappi lately. My tastes keep changing. I would start with all prefolds and PUL covers and branch out from there. THey are simple, cheap, wash and dry fast, and easy to get. Bummis covers are AWESOME!
Make your life easy and get a snappi instead of using pins. A lot of people are pin-impaired when they first start. It does have a bit of a learning curve. It might seem complicated at first to fold and snappi and add a cover but it's honestly just so easy. It takes a couple times to get used to it but if you keep at it, I promise you it will become old hat by the second or third day. Cloth is definitely different than disposables so give yourself time to get adjusted. I promise it's worth it!!!!! I have loved it since the first diaper I put on my newborn(it was a lavendar kissaluvs 0 by the way!
). I still love it 5 months later.

Meg(off to load up a wash of dipes)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts