Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD is three months old. Up until a few weeks ago she was nursing some 14 times a day, but in the last few weeks she's slowly started spacing her feeds and settling into a routine, for which I'm grateful since I am nursing twins and it's grueling. We've been going steady with about 8 times a day, and now she's trying to go to sleep earlier in the evening (around 7) and drop another feeding. I've tried keeping her awake longer and offering often and she just cries. All she wants is to sleep. She feeds around 4, and then not again until she wakes briefly at around 9. Then she sleeps again until around 2, and then sleeps until 5.<br><br>
So she's nursing at roughly these times: 5 am, 7 am, 10 am, 1 pm, 4 pm, 9 pm, and 2 am. That's of course really rough and estimated, since I'm really feeding her when she seems to want it. I offer a lot more often than that, but she's not interested.<br><br>
That leaves her nursing only 7 times a day, with two five hours stretches. That worries me since she's still pretty small, not yet 10 pounds (up from 4 1/2), and only gaining about 5 ounces a week. I know the usual recommendation is 8 to 12 times a day, but is that just for newborns or is it for older babies too? I am offering her the boob every chance I get, but she refuses it, just clamps her lips shut and grins at me, or clamps or lips shut and whines, depending on her mood.<br><br>
My DS is different; he nurses a million zillion times every day, and will happily nurse away even when he just finished five minutes ago and is totally full. But DD is not a comfort nurser, it seems.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Is she taking a pacifier? Pacifiers can cause a baby to nurse less.<br><br>
Lots of skin to skin contact can encourage more nursing-- wearing baby in the sling while topless, and co-sleeping topless.

·
Registered
181 Posts
maybe she is just getting more efficient? or it could be a phase, I would continue to offer the breast, but don't push it if she refuses. At 3 months DD nursed every 3 hours with a 5 and 6 hour strecth at night...now (she's 11 months) she is up every 3 hours at night to nurse. Things change so quickly...I would just trust you little girl. One last thing to consider...is she feeling well? could be a cold, fluid in the ear or teething that is causing her to nurse less.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I thought I'd add that 5 oz. per week is less than average, but if she seems healthy, alert and active, I wouldn't worry.<br><br>
But I would still offer frequently, and co-sleep to encourage lots of nighttime nursing. Avoid pacifiers, swings and other artificial soothers, they can decrease the amount of time baby spends at the breast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts