Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19,139 Posts
So awful. My sister works on the trolley in SD. She was one of the first on the scene one time when a friend of hers, who is a conductor, was driving a train that a man jumped in front of. She was unable to stop the train in time. Thank God these conductors were able to. I am glad that poor babe is okay.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderingWombat
She really, really needed to get on that train, I assume.
I have to admit that made me laugh, laugh, laugh...

But seriously, that mother will never get that boy back, right? That boy is going to get a chance to live by being in Foster care and hopefully being adopted, right?

What a sad sad story. I hope that mother gets help and the boy gets even more.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
This is very, very strange. She chose slow-moving trains to go in front of/push her baby in front of? I'd think somebody trying to kill somebody would look for a speeding train that couldn't stop in time.

It sounds to me like this woman is severely mentally ill. I hope she gets the help she needs AND that she never sees her child again!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Quote:
This is very, very strange. She chose slow-moving trains to go in front of/push her baby in front of? I'd think somebody trying to kill somebody would look for a speeding train that couldn't stop in time.

Even slow moving trains can take quite a distance to stop, depends on the speen the train was moving and the length of the train, the child is very lucky to be alive, 25 feet is a near miss...

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
And, really, thank God for those 2 train conductors who were able to react quickly and stop in time.

What a sick woman.

ALmost makes me wonder if she started thinking this way after hearing about the woman in SF & the pier.

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
I wonder if she was thinking that she could sue the Trolley's for hitting her son. Or she was hoping that if he was hit by a train, then she could not be held accountable, kwim? She could say he ran in front of the train and she couldn't stop him.

Either way, I am glad someone took notice and protected that little boy.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lotusdebi
Could you show me the article where it's written that she was showing signs of mental illness?
First of all, I don't think a "sane" woman would do something like this.

Secondly, the police were having trouble identifying the woman. Was she unable to tell them her name?

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Ruthla - it just says that they were trying to "verify" her name - meaning to make sure she was telling the truth. That being said, obviously she is having some sort of mental troubles to do such a thing.

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Why is it okay to make assumptions about her mental health without any kind of evidence supporting the idea that she suffers from mental illness?
I'm incredibly sickened and saddened that this kind of ignorance continues to be spewed on MDC. Might as well start making assumptions about the color of her skin, or how much money she has.

ETA: Anyone can kill or try to kill their child. Just like anyone can beat their child. It doesn't take mental illness to do that. Just because something is outside of your (general your) experience, doesn't mean that only mentally ill people would do it.

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lotusdebi
Anyone can kill or try to kill their child. Just like anyone can beat their child. It doesn't take mental illness to do that. Just because something is outside of your (general your) experience, doesn't mean that only mentally ill people would do it.
: Just take a look at many of the serial killers, they were quite sane and quite intelligent.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Wow, how sad. Especially that she tried to do it once, and the conductors just asked her to stop...imagine how they would have felt if she succeeded in killing her child the second time?!?

I agree with MITB and lotus debi...mental insanity is related to whether a person knew right from wrong, not whether they were doing something "crazy." The fact that she tried it twice implies a whole lot of intent to hurt/kill her child. Just because it seems crazy to us, doesn't mean she's really crazy...in that she had no choice because of mental illness/disease. She made a choice, twice, to endanger her child. Thank goodness the boy's okay!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.