Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watch your dc with your electric windows in cars!!!!!!!

Holy cow...today my dd2 who is 2 1/2 yrs rolled her head up in the car windows and almost choked to death!!!! It was HORRIBLE!!!!!!!

We were playing in the driveway...the car door was open and the car battery was running bc we were listening to music.
I turned my back for all of a moment when I heard this unusual and alarming "argggg" gagging sound which I had never heard either of them do before. I quickly turned back to investigate...and saw that dd2's head was lodged in the car window. She was bright red and could not move or speak. I FREAKED and immediately opened the door...somehow at the same time her foot pushed the window lever again and rolled the window back down. She was coughing and crying and threw up.
A few minutes later she was ready to play again---but I am still shaking hours later.
What if the phone had rung?! What if I had used the bathroom real quick....what if I hadn't heard that brief awful sound she was able to make...what if ....what if ....what if ?!!!!!!

It ONLY TAKES A SECOND folks!!!!! Holy cow.

So my lesson is so learned. And I know it's not news that electric car windows can be dangerous. I thought the window lock was on and I was literally right there...clearly not enough. I wanted to pass along my story in hopes that you all (if even just one of you) can avoid this.
You can take nothing for granted, even when you're "right there."

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Two children died last year from this. One of the reasons that I hate power windows. Some new car models have a safety in the window so that the window opens if something gets in the way of the window while it's closing, similar to a garage door opening if someone is underneath (saved my hand once). I made a salesman demonstrate for me, and it works. It was a VW, but I'm sure other manufacturers are doing this now.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Wow, what a scare! I'm glad you and your little one is ok!

I too saw that program about the dangers of power windows. It seems that when the windows are open, the child stands on the armrest to lean out the window, steps on the power window control, and presto... Instant danger. Window locks can help, but we have a rule about no kids ever being in the car without being in a carseat/seatbelt. What if they touch the clutch? Lock themselves in in the summer with windows up? Vehicles are so dangerous!

When I was a child, I had recurring nightmares about being trapped in a rolling car, with no way to control it. I asked my parents to show me all the ways to stop a car just in case. It never happened, but still, I never forgot about it (ok, I had issues...).

Thank god you were right there!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Quote:
We were playing in the driveway...the car door was open and the car battery was running bc we were listening to music.
I think she made it clear they were outside of the car...

I'm glad your daughter is ok.
how frightening for you.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've always hated power windows for safety reasons and convenience reasons. I never thought of the head in the window, but that sure is scary. My biggest fear was somehow wrecking the car into a lake and having the window circuit short out and being unable to open the window and being trapped.

I also think they are not as convenient as they pretend to be. They're *constantly* breaking, and it's never with the window shut. No, they always decide to stop working when the window is down, and not in sunny weather, but in cold, rainy, or snowy weather.

I also have fears about airbags after hearing horror stories about children being decapitated. I am only 5'1", and in order for me to reach the pedals in my car, I need to have the seat very close to the steering wheel, and being as petite as I am, I am always scared that I might have a similar bone structure and vulnerability as the children who were decapitated. Call me crazy, but I'd rather break my nose on the steering wheel than have my head chopped off.

What's so awful is how these technologies are forced upon us even if we don't want them. It's next to impossible to find a new car without power windows, and I'm sure there are no new cars without standard airbags. I just think it's deplorable how they implement new technology without safety being certain, and thus end up putting us in *more* danger, not less!

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
thank you,VenalAnatomica

when I read that I still t hought she was in the car seat..I didn't necessarily think she was outside.
I ask because I have been sitting in the car idling and ds in his car seat has pushed the electric windows and gotten stuff stuck so I was trying to imagine him getting his head stuck.... but now I get a fuller picture. thank you.

ps. I'm grateful for this original posting and glad your daughter ended up okay. thank you.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mum2sarah, I've had the same thought/fear about power windows not working if the car were to crash into water.
And for your concern about the airbag, I'm pretty sure they can be disengaged which would be a good idea with your height. How awful about the decapitation fact!

I'm still so freaked out by what happened with my dd2. It was so awful and so dangerous and could have been SOOSOOOOOO much worse!!!! I'm constantly so thankful that I was right there and that she was able to get out the one alarming noise she did and that I was able to hear it. The "what ifs" keep playing in my head and make my heart skip a beat.

Thank you for your kind words. And even though the fact that electric windows are dangerous isn't "news" just remind yourself and parents you know of the inherent danger because even though I knew I still took too much for granted and it can happen so fast!!

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I knew a child who was killed by a car window years ago. I thought that in the UK after that a law was passed that all new cars had to have sensors for windows. I assumed that the US was even stricter about safety and this was standard here, but maybe not.
:

When we bought our minivan, I was worried about the sliding doors, but the salesman told me that there was a sensor. However, recently dd got her shoe caught in the door and it squashed it fairly flat - luckily she slipped her toes back so it didnt hurt her. She was in the carseat at the time.

I need to check exactly what sensors there are, if any, as it seemed to me that if it closed around a neck, it wouldnt stop.

Frightening thoughts.........

·
Registered
306 Posts
I am so glad that your DD is okay. Thank you for posting because it is not something that I would have thought of to watch for.

A friend gave me this tip and I need to start implementing it now. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER leave your car unlocked when you are not around. She left her car unlocked in the driveway one afternoon. Even though it was completely shut up her 5 year old brother and 4 year old daughter opened up the doors, popped the trunk, climbed in and shut it. She was less than 5 minutes from being too late. Oh, they also closed the car doors after they popped the trunk so if she had not heard their screams she never would have looked in the trunk.

Cars can be so dangerous but because they are so common we take them for granted. They are one and two ton death traps given the right circumstances.

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
There was a segment on our local news about this recently, after a child was killed that way.

They pointed out that if the car window switches were made such that you had to lift them UP to get the window up, these accidents would not happen. Sure enough, my Mazda has that type of switch - one less worry when DD gets to that age.

It really sticks in my craw that the American car makers have known about this for some time and still make electric window switches that move the window up by being pressed down.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
Saturn makes them safer, not only do they lock but you pull the button up to make the window go up, and push it down to make the window go down.

-Heather

1 - 13 of 13 Posts