Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am watching my sister's huge yellow lab. We have a kennel outside of the house that was built for him, shelter, room to move etc etc. I use it when I am doing errands.

Today I came home to find four little dead rabbit bodies littered all over the kennel and a frankly excited dog. I think that there was a nest in some of the old straw that we heap around his dog igloo thing in the winter. It is odd because he has used the kennel the last two days and I am positive that the bodies were from today.

Argh, I had NO IDEA there was a rabbit nest there. I would never have put him in there if I knew this!

So I moved the bodies but frankly there are still remains and they were also remnants on the dog.

My question is how amazingly germ ridden are things? He tends to bolt and ran into the house when I opened his kennel so he did walk in our entry and is now in the garage. I gave him a bath and cleaned things as best I could...is this enough...should I use bleach and throw away rugs....argh...I don't even own bleach!

Also: my dd saw one of the bodies but thought it was a dead bird (not completely odd on that side of the house birds occasionally show up dead, windows and a neighborhood cat are the likely causes.) I am hoping the question of how the death occured doesn't come-up...she is so not for animals that kill at the moment and she loves this dog...

I think I am just paranoid because this is my sister's dog! I really don't want anything to happen to him! Oh, and I am grossed out by the thought of rabbit bits in my entry and on my shoes....

·
Registered
867 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. That's what immune systems are for! (That's just me though....) If they were dead in your yard and no dog was around (or had been) then I'd be concerned.

Odds are, they were just as healthy as could be. (Well, until the dog found them anyway. I expect they developed high blood pressure at that point....:)

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
My sister lives out in the country, and her two dogs are always bringing in rabbits. She's really never had a problem with that. She is much more afraid when the dogs find a skunk, however!

Kristen

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses!

I freaked out because my sister would flip if anything happened to this big brute! He looked like something out of a slasher movie when I found him; I thought I had killed him! He already has health problems and I have a nice little dog medication flow chart on my fridge she had printed out for me but it had no mention of rabbits!

Now I just have to get over the feeling of cleaning everywhere he may have walked.

QUOTE "She is much more afraid when the dogs find a skunk, however!"

Argh, I can relate to that, my "old" dog had a skunk experience once, it was interesting. Much better than the porcupine situation that I had to watch out for though.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
In situations like this it is always good to remind yourself that dogs lick their bums, something like a dead rabbit isnt any worse than that. The only thing I would slightly worry about is tapeworms since rabbits can carry them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts