Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you can see from my sig line, I have a 3 year old and a newborn. I wore my 3 year old in various slings (Maya Wrap and a Wise Woman Sling) up until the day I gave birth with my second son. DS #2 was born big... is still big and long!

When I started getting up and about after giving birth, we tried my WW sling that DS #1 LOVES to be in and my little bean hated it. So, I pulled out the Ella Roo I had bought weeks before and just never used because DS #1 was quite happy with our slings.

DS #2 adores being in the Ella Roo! He nestles up close to me, he has plenty of room to stretch out, his head is protected and well, it just works for him (and me, too!). I'm actually plesantly surprised about how much I like the Ella Roo (loads of back support, it's pretty and it isn't at all hot like I thought it would be).

Anyway, every single time we go out at least one person makes some comment along the lines of "she's gonna smother that baby!" or "poor thing!"
Usually, the comments aren't made directly to me but loud enough and within range where I will be sure to hear it. It is so frustrating. Now, I don't care what people think BUT.... my son is obviously very happy to be where he is. Usually, he's snoozing away making sweet little baby noises of contentment. When he's awake, I pull the fabric back and he has his eyes wide open quietly taking in the world. Is this the picture of an unhappy baby, I ask you???

I don't mind (much) the fact that I've become public property since giving birth. I like people to notice our sling, I like people to notice the cute little bundle on my tummy and I LOVE answering questions about him and me and our sling and sometimes that opens up talk about our homebirth.
But some people are just so negative... I mean, come on... I have a 3 year old tagging along, I've obviously done this before and have some clue as to what I'm doing.

If you made it this far, thanks for listening! I just needed to post to people who would understand!

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I'm sorry mama... I know there are a lot of mamas here that experience wonderful feedback when they are out and slingin' their babies, I think I'm one of the few who gets more negative comments and looks, so I'm chiming in here. Maybe I just hang out where all the narrow-minded go?
In my case, people are always eager to criticize what they don't know or something that is different/uncommon. My son is two and I always sling him when we go out becaue if I didn't he'd be off and running away....I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said I get this comment every other time we're out..."He's too big to be carried, why can't he walk?" ...done in a snooty way, mid you. I actually had one woman ask me, "why was I carrying him, was there something wrong with him?" Yet, it is completely acceptable to go to the mall and push your 4 year around in a stroller?
I understand your frustration....I have just learned to ignore it-I figure I don't have time to try an educate someone who has no interest in hearing an idea different than their own...now on seldom occasion when I get someone who is genuinely interested & positive, then don't get me started.

It always nice to come back here and vent among people who "get you"...I do it all the time. So hugs for you, you sound like a great mama.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
When my son was younger people would say the same sort of comments, even "can he breathe in there?"
Just try to either ignore it or enlighten them to the many benifits of babywearing. And you know you are doing whats right for your baby, so who cares what others think!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I ran into this some w/ DS when I would sling him at a year
+ old in the mall instead of push him in his stroller.

I also run into this constantly with extened BF. I have some medical problems and have to have tests, etc. The nurses and drs always comment "you are STILL BFing him?" ("and your pregnant!?")

I have found the same comment addresses each of these issues - "Other cultures have done and are doing this with great success, why MUST we be different?!" This applies so well to slinging and BFing that I just leave it at that

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just tell people I'm too lazy to bend over to check on them

Unless of course they seem truly concerned about the babies ability to breath and then I show them that the wrap *IS* up against their head but not covering their nose.

I find humor is the best remedy. I probably would have said something about the wrap being long enough to tie all her kids together then they'd be easier to wrangle.

As an aside I've used a wrap for toddlers to hang onto like a rope while walking in public places

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Tell them to

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
KyleAnn said:
Yet, it is completely acceptable to go to the mall and push your 4 year around in a stroller?
QUOTE]
Touche! I find that a little aggravating too.

As far as negative comments about babywearing, isn't it funny that something that both our babies and we enjoy so much could be so maligned by strangers?
I just ignore weird comments or answer sarcastically, which probably doesnt help :LOL
I have had the same comment "can your baby breathe in there?!" and I answered "yup" and the person then went on to say "Are you SURE?" So, I said "no, I'm not sure, OMG, I better check on her!!!" I thought it was funny anyway, and laughed at my own joke
People are pretty silly
I just try not to take the negative comments seriously.
For the most part, I get positive feedback here in Seattle though....

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fremontmama
So, I said "no, I'm not sure, OMG, I better check on her!!!" I thought it was funny anyway, and laughed at my own joke
:LOL

This is the approach I'd like to take..... oh, wow!!! ya, know, I'd never thought of that.... maybe he can't breath!

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tupelo Honey
You need my tshirt that says
THANK YOU!
for your unsolicited parenting advice

It's up nice and high where people can see it, too. lol
LMAO do you really have a shirt that says that? I want one too!!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I agree with all the above comments. I don't see why people care if I am carrying my baby or pushing her in a stroller--it's none of their damn business. I was at the park and 2 moms a couple of feet away were talking about my wrap and I could her them (HELLO I can tell when people are talking about me) say "it's so tight" blah blah blah. Well, yes it is tight, my baby loves it that way. If it's not tight it hurts my back and I can't keep her up high enough. I wish they would have come over and asked me about it so I could explain about why I carry my baby that way.

Anyway, I feel your pain and I think you are doing a great job by carrying your babies around!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts